Manager, Application Backend Team (remote) at Sensible Weather
| Greater LA Area | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:02 p.m. (PST) on Thursday, February 9, 2023
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Who we are
Sensible is built to help consumers and businesses understand, plan for, and mitigate all types of climate and weather risk. We work at the intersection of deep technology, science and experience design. Our first product embeds with travel and outdoor events partners, offering their customers a guarantee against bad weather. This means a customer can have confidence that they will have a great time in the sun. If not, they get their money back!
We recognize that we're living in a world with more climate disruption than ever before. We also believe that it is one of unprecedented opportunity for solutions.
With rich data from satellites and other developing technologies, we have the right information, engineering, and technology to help us relate to our environment with a new kind of awareness and understanding.
Sensible is a team built on trust, feedback, and communication. We recognize that diversity of background, skills, and experiences makes stronger teams. We are, therefore, an equal opportunity employer.
What you’ll be doing
As a manager of the application backend team you will work with our talented backend engineers - helping them to grow, motivating them, providing feedback on technical choices, and creating processes that best support the team. You will work closely with frontend, product and other leaders to make sure we are building the best features for our customers and partners. Our partners trust us to create a first rate developer experience; easy to understand and performant APIs. And our customers trust us to deliver high value weather coverage with a seamless and stable experience. All of this requires well crafted, flexible and scalable backend systems and platforms. In addition, you will be able to grow your team: finding and hiring great engineers.
- Provide tailored feedback and growth opportunities for engineers
- Evaluate existing processes and create new ones to help the team execute high quality work with a low amount of friction and high amount of collaboration
- Understand strategic company decisions - communicate them to your team and help make sure work is driving towards the broader goals.
- Provide feedback and guidance on technical designs, discussions, and PRs
If you are an empathetic leader with at least one year of management experience and have worked on scalable, robust, product centric backend systems with you might be a great fit! We are seeking a manager who sees the nuance in things and strives to understand the whys behind all things: process, feedback, product vision, human behavior. If you understand that there is not one size fits all solution to management. If finding tailored solutions and getting to know your developers excites you then we want to hear from you.
- 1-5 years of management experience of a backend and/or product focused team
- Prior experience with: Golang, cloud hosted micro services, and backend testing strategies.
- Kubernetes, experience hosting high load and intuitive APIs, familiarity with a DevOps mentality are a plus.
- Ability to translate business needs into technical requirements
- A growth mindset for yourself and belief in others
- A desire to work on a product that delivers real value to people
- A strong, results-driven work ethic