Lead Thermal Engineer at Virgin Hyperloop
- Be responsible for numerical and analytical modeling of heat transfer phenomena in power electronics including oversight of all thermal analysis performed
- Define thermal design requirements and required product regulatory compliance testing
- Interface with systems team to ensure overall system architecture is in sync with power electronics requirements including studies of impacts and temperature margins to support system design
- Develop test plans and analyze data to validate numerical and analytical thermal models
- Work with internal teams and external vendors to establish thermal requirements, ensure timely completion of functional hardware, and facilitate project partnerships
- Brief design and analysis materials to senior customer personnel on significant technical matters, often requiring coordinated activity across organizational lines
- Provide mentorship, oversight, and ensure quality of work of junior engineers in basic and advanced thermal engineering concepts.
The candidate must have practical engineering experience in thermal design. They must be able to develop simple design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
In addition, the Lead Thermal Analyst must possess the following characteristics:
- Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
- A learner: you’re always eager to learn new skills; faced with a new challenge, you apply considerable research skills and diligence to figure it out, though you’re humble enough to ask for help when needed.
- Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
- Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
- Experience developing a product from concept to production
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
- B.S. in mechanical engineering or related discipline and 6+ years experience OR M.S. in mechanical engineering or related discipline and 4+ years experience
- Strong, professional and direct experience in thermal design and analysis of electronic equipment using a multiphysics simulation package such as Icepak, FloTHERM, FLUENT, StarCCM+, etc.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the fundamentals of FEA and CFD (meshing, convergence, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of heat sink design, heat pipes, fans, blowers, TIMs
- Ability to read mechanical system schematics
- Ability to do thermal validation with equipment such as data acquisition systems, air flow chambers, and environmental chambers
- Thermal analysis or design of power electronics (high power)
- Aerospace thermal architecture
- Thermal analysis of consumer electronics or control or electrical components
- Experience with pure water or high voltage DC liquid cooling systems