Lead Process Development Engineer at Virgin Hyperloop
Develop and implement robust manufacturing processes for sub-systems of the Hyperloop vehicle power system. Sub-systems include electrical motors, propulsion, electromagnetic suspension, braking. Processes include in-house manufacturing, contract manufacturing, and vendor management.
- Reports directly to Vehicle Process Development Manager
- Research, design, prototype, and develop new manufacturing processes ranging the entire Manufacturing Readiness Level (MRL) spectrum from preliminary “laboratory” testing to full scale mass production
- Function as a key go-to subject matter expert on the manufacturing of one or more specific vehicle functions including electromagnetic propulsion and suspension systems.
- Work with a team of process development engineers, design engineers, and project coordinators to ensure the team meets critical project schedule deadlines
- Work daily with hardware design engineers to understand the most up-to-date product requirements and development status to ensure manufacturing development keeps pace or leads product design
- Maintain and report cost data for various design trades including raw materials, cycle time, outside vendors, capital and tooling investments, facility requirements, direct and indirect labor and logistics costs, etc.
- Research and publish of manufacturing technical memos for manufacturing recommendations, feasibility studies, and cost savings initiatives
- Work with outside vendors and contract manufacturers to develop and implement manufacturing processes
- Identify strategic opportunities for manufacturing IP generation
An experienced engineer who has previous process development experience in an R&D or startup environment. Someone who has successfully developed robust manufacturing processes within aggressive timelines and can prove it. Someone able to chart a path forward through ambiguity and lack of definition. A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well versed in complex engineering systems. An articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent skills in the following: communication, organization, spatial imagination, mechanical assembly and judgment. A self-directed individual who is a true team player. Large egos need not apply.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. or higher in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, materials engineering or equivalent
- 4+ years of process development, process engineering, or manufacturing experience
- Demonstrated proficiency to interpret complex part and assembly drawings
- Demonstrated ability to think ahead and plan over multi-month time spans
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities & projects
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to make effective decisions and presentations on complex manufacturing topics to technicians, engineers, managers and executives
- 4+ years of engineering experience in one or more of the following:
- Manufacturing or integration of electrical vehicles
- Manufacturing or integration of electrical motors
- Manufacturing or integration of permanent or electro-magnets
- Manufacturing or integration of large complex machinery or assemblies
- Experience in a R&D or startup environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in 2D and 3D CAD
- Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing experience
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.