Team and Role Overview
The Additive Development team at Relativity Space is responsible for the core design, development, automation and operation of Relativity’s Additive Technologies. The Mechanical Engineering team is responsible for the design and physical layout of our Stargate Class Printers and other automated cells for additively manufacturing, inspecting, and post-processing our 3D printed components. The Mechanical Engineering team works closely with our Automation, Weld, and NDE Teams to derive requirements for our novel process and turn them into functional detailed designs. The Mechanical Engineering team brings a high level of innovation and ingenuity into the design process, as they are tasked with building out our highly-automated 3d printers.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
You will lead the Mechanical Engineering team that designs additive manufacturing hardware and solutions. In this role you will be responsible for conceptualizing and translating engineering requirements and concepts into detailed designs for our Stargate-Class 3D printers. You and your team will own the development, fabrication, and commissioning of new Stargate-Class Printers and other automated inspection and post-print processing cells. You support efforts to automate every aspect of the printing process including additive, subtractive, inspection and maintenance.
To be successful in this role, you need to be a self-starter that is able to thrive in ambiguity, identify problems and quickly resolve them, and provide definition to the previously undefined. You should have a commitment to quality and the discipline required to achieve it. You will be a trail blazer for the company, so you need to be self-motivated and able to influence both Engineering and Production in order to effectively implement your plans. You need to be comfortable with detail-oriented design/analysis desk work, while also being ready to get your hands dirty with building and commissioning new print cells. We are looking for a leader that is comfortable balancing individual responsibilities while leading and managing a team of Mechanical Engineers.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- 5+ years of experience, designing industrial automation equipment, mechanical structures, ground support equipment or flight/automotive/consumer hardware.
- 2+ years of experience leading a technical engineering team, preferably in design or fabrication.
- Extensive experience operating in CAD (preferably NX) and creating assembly drawings.
- Extensive experience project managing a product through its lifecycle—from concept thru design into commissioning.
- Experience designing industrial automation systems; capable of deriving requirements for and sizing mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic components.
- Experience interfacing with manufacturing engineers, contractors, and technicians.
- Incorporating human factors and safety into design solutions.
- Proficiency in GD&T.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Master’s degree in mechanical or structural engineering.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a product from minimum requirements and concepts.
- Mechanical design experience with automated systems and integration with industrial automation robots.
- Experience in performing structural FEA analysis using ANSYS, ABAQUS, or equivalent.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.