Integration Engineer (Propulsion) at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are redefining design, manufacturing, and operational processes to create the first 21st-century aerospace company. We are seeking a highly talented Integration Engineer who will be responsible for developing and scaling our Aeon engine assembly processes to achieve a reliable and cost effective launch vehicle. A high degree of autonomy is required. The Integration Engineer will be a part of the growing Propulsion Team at our headquarters in Long Beach, CA.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To help achieve our exciting and ambitious goals, as an Integration Engineer you will:
- Develop and implement assembly and test processes for the Aeon 1 engine system.
- Coordinate with design and manufacturing and responsible engineers to ensure on-time delivery of piece parts.
- Maintain build schedules and ensure resources are properly aligned with priorities.
- Organize, streamline, and diligently maintain assembly work stations to minimize waste.
- Design assembly aids, build fixtures, shipping containers, and any other tooling needed for safe and reliable handling of engine hardware.
- Design and build hydrostatic proof and pneumatic leak check test carts.
- Resolve and analyze manufacturing and test discrepancies.
- Work with design engineers to develop, evaluate, and improve design to streamline assembly and manufacturing.
To be successful in this role, you should hold a relevant engineering degree and have 4+ years of related experience, ideally in an engine assembly environment. Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to resolve manufacturing issues and meeting production demand is a must. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You’re a tinkerer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short and long term company goals.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in mechanical, manufacturing, industrial, aerospace, or related engineering field and 4+ years of relevant experience
- Siemens NX and Teamcenter experience (or equivalent) with a strong understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5-1994
- Experience performing electrical system inspections, preferably with high sensitivity avionics systems
- Demonstrated experience performing structural and/or functional acceptance testing - hydrostatic proof testing, pneumatic leak check, etc.
- Hands-on experience assembling precision components in high pressure fluid applications
- Demonstrated ability to determine root cause and implement corrective actions
- Strong mentality toward safety and occupational hazards
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and intense startup environment
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Prior experience with spacecraft, launch vehicle, and/or aircraft propulsion systems
- Well versed in general fabrication including manual machining, welding, cleaning, etc.
- Experience working with powder bed (DMLS) printed components
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.