Fluid System Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented engineer to join the Structures Test team at a rapidly growing space startup. This position will be integrally involved in the design, build, and operation of all structural test stands at our Los Angeles headquarters. The successful candidate will bring experience in pneumatic, hydraulic, or cryogenic fluid systems. This position is ideal for engineers from a variety of disciplines with an above average ability to design fill and pressurization systems while understanding their impact on the larger test stand.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As a structural test engineer, you will cooperate with our structural design team in order to complete structural testing of the Terran 1 vehicle. You will primarily be responsible for our fluid systems that control stage fill and pressurization during test.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be equally at home working from your desk or in the test yard. Some days you will be working on the test stands to solve integration or activation problems, and other days you will be designing new systems for upcoming test campaigns. You should be nimble and scrappy, but have a constant eye for safety and quality.
The successful candidate will have significant experience with fluid systems (pneumatic, cryogenic, or hydraulic). Some examples of relevant experience include:
- Hydraulic system design with strict pressure, flow, or filtration requirements
- 1D fluid analysis for flow or pressurization systems
- Procedure creation for complex operations
- Component specification for fluid processing
- P&ID design
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 3 years of relevant engineering experience post-graduation and an undergraduate degree in STEM field
- Willing to travel as required (10%)
- Demonstrated track record of completing multi-discipline projects within time and budget constraints
- Familiarity with instrumentation selection and operation
- Demonstrated design ability using 1D fluid analysis
- Proven ability to make critical decisions under pressure in a console operator or other real-time environment.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Comfortable working at heights or enclosed spaces
- Significant “hands on” experience
- Familiarity with structural design and finite element analysis
- Familiarity with aerospace launch or test environment
- Familiarity with cryogenic handling and hazards
- Experience with hydraulic power systems
- Familiarity with high pressure (>3,000 psi) systems
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.