Electrical Engineer I at Virgin Hyperloop
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
The Power Electronics division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, charging systems, wiring and cable assemblies, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms.
We are seeking a general Electrical Engineer at our Los Angeles facility to join our diverse, experienced team in designing power electronics for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth. This general electrical engineer will be responsible for the design and development of various complex test setup or test rigs in supporting all related power electronics product development tests, procedures, documentation, testing hardware selection and procurement.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the testing activities and assist in all hands-on work for building testing equipment and maintaining it for its life cycle. You will be also responsible for documenting the test rig development details and any anomalies if you find in the rig design.
The direct responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding electrical system schematics and provide 2D drawings in AutoCAD
- Understand system wiring schematics and provide harness drawings in AutoCAD
- Design and build benchtop test fixtures or stand-alone test rigs based on the recommendations from the functional owners including HV functions
- Design and build wire harness for any engineering need within the team including both LV & HV
- Identify, review, select, and purchase all materials, parts, tools, equipment that are required for above mentioned builds
- Manage inventory for tools and electronic equipment
- Maintain built hardware, troubleshoot test hardware, or make repairs if necessary
- Adhere to standard manufacturing standards and safety protocols
- Collaborate with design engineers, analysts, and test engineers to support any hands-on testing needs, operate test equipment, record test data/ test procedures accurately
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- Experience fabricating special test equipment and using harnesses build tools
- Experience in electronic lab with SMD soldering and PCB reworking
- Experience using basic test equipment such as multimeter, oscilloscope, power supplies, etc.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot test hardware issues
- Experience using common machine shop tools and equipment
- Experience in HV test setup design and working in a HV Lab environment
NICE TO HAVE
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent education or related work experience
- Strong skills to work in fast paced prototype/fabrication shops
- Team player spirit and willing to get job done
- Ability to use instrumentation such as thermocouples, RTDs, strain gauges, accelerometers, pressure gauges, and flow meters
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave