To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
The Electrical Engineer, Embedded Test will be part of the Control System team as part of the Product Development Function. The team works with other teams to specify, develop and maintain the hardware electronic control units and peripherals for the control systems of hyperloop - safety-critical, real-time and other uses. Electrical Engineer, Embedded Test will contribute to the overall embedded control solution by aiding in electrical specification and requirements ranging from embedded controllers and sensing peripherals as well as the interconnection and interaction between.
We are seeking candidates with various levels of experience to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals at our Los Angeles facility.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Hands on work bringing up and supporting embedded platforms for Control Systems and other teams, with a focus on proving out and testing in house designed control units and peripherals
- Responsible for and/or work with test team to provide test procedures, plans, and results
- Troubleshoot various hyperloop hardware ranging from PCB board testing and debug, sensor, and other peripheral testing.
- Perform rework on embedded boards as needed, with mix of through hole, SMT (sizes typically down to 0402)
- Ability to build test harnesses, with both crimp and solder experience
- Perform ATPs and other such PCBA testing to ensure product meets functional requirements.
- Aid and often lead in lab test setups
- Work with SW engineers during board bring up(s) in order to streamline such efforts, aiding/performing on the fly board modifications (if/as needed)
- Read, understand, and modify electrical schematics as needed and/or advise based on testing and functional verification
- Comfortable with complex PCB schematics including microcontroller/FPGA, signal conditioning, power supply, and analog/digital control circuitries
- Design, specify and select sensors and harnessing based on subsystem requirements, work with other teams to ensure design compatibility
- Work with and manage vendors as needed in order to deliver design(s)
- Build and test circuit prototypes
- Comfortable working on multiple “projects” at once
- Understand electrical system design and integration practices
- Familiar with EMI/EMC design concerns
- General Circuit/Network Analysis understanding
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
The candidate must have practical electrical engineering experience in electrical systems and embedded control systems. They must be able to develop and troubleshoot design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
- Skilled Engineer with background in embedded electronics and/or testing
- Good understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals and ability to aid in debugging electrical-mechanical systems
- Problem Solver: Take action, fill gaps, provide solutions
In addition, the Electrical Engineer, Embedded Test must possess the following characteristics:
• Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• A learner: you’re always eager to learn new skills; faced with a new challenge, you apply considerable research skills and diligence to figure it out
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
NICE TO HAVE
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent•
- Hands on experience in embedded systems design
- Hands on experience in embedded systems troubleshooting
- Familiar with circuit simulation tools, e.g.,MatlabSimulink, LTSpice, etc.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, with experience with various lab equipment including oscilloscope, power supplies, signal generators, etc.
- Experience with sensors and data acquisition system
• Up-to-date knowledge on relevant design standards
• Excellent communication skills
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave