Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. We have an ambitious mission, and we understand that it takes a team to achieve it. This is why we are growing and looking for team members to join us who feel just as excited and driven to accomplish something that has not been done before, together.
Our Vehicle Engineering team seeks a Dynamic Environments Engineer to help achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. The successful candidate will have demonstrated technical excellence in vibration, acoustics, and shock analysis and testing. This position is ideal for experienced dynamics engineers looking for a role with broad technical authority and responsibility in a small, high-performance team.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As a core member of Relativity's dynamics team, you will lead the development of Relativity's high-frequency dynamics engineering capability from the detailed design phase through flight verification and beyond. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary vehicle engineering team to deliver world-class insight in the areas of acoustics, vibration, and shock to enable design, development, and flight of the Terran 1 launch system. Additionally, you will help build an outstanding dynamics engineering organization at the cutting edge of commercial aerospace.
The projects you’ll be responsible for could include any or all of the following:
- Develop dynamic environments predictions for Terran 1 systems, components, and payloads using empirical, experimental, and analytical approaches as required
- Drive the design of major Terran 1 system elements to meet criteria for vibration, shock, and acoustics
- Define and lead dynamics testing campaigns, such as for engine vibroacoustics, aeroacoustics, and secondary structure random vibration, including test planning, instrumentation, data acquisition, test operations, and signal processing
- Mature Relativity’s tools for developing and communicating high-frequency dynamic environments, including custom and commercial code, databases, signal processing tools and methodology
- Guide and mentor responsible hardware engineers to ensure hardware meets dynamics requirements
- Direct consultants and contractors in supporting dynamics and test activities
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects to completion. You are experienced in delivering effective output without sufficient input. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, vehicle engineering environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with a broad technical team.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in structural dynamics and vibroacoustics theory and analysis (aerospace preferred)
- Hands-on experience with dynamics testing, instrumentation, and data analysis at the component and system levels
- Experience solving complex dynamics problems on integrated vehicles
- Proficiency in an engineering scripting language, such as MATLAB or Python
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Vehicle program experience through V&V/certification
- Experience writing custom tools for data processing and reporting
- Experience with fatigue and damage tolerance
- Experience with mechanisms and separation shock testing
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.