Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first fully 3D printed rocket and the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets.
We're building an additive team that's ready to discover, develop, create, and operate the most advanced additive manufacturing technologies in the world. In order to do that, we need strong, driven technical leaders, project managers and operators.
As leader of our small-scale additive manufacturing group you will be responsible for all powder bed operations and development. You will build and lead the team that operates our Laser Powder Bed Fusion (SLM / DMLS / DMLM) printers producing flight parts and the team that develops and introduces new additive technologies and techniques. You will own the process from initial research and development through to qualification for flight and serial production at rate. You will vet new technologies and lead materials research. You will define processes for additive manufacturing. You will build our world class additive production facilities and the team that operates them.
This role would be responsible for all powder additive technology, operations and associated processes. This includes printer improvements, hardware feature development, process automation, raw materials and parameter development, in-situ quality monitoring, post process equipment procurement, operation and development (heat treat, EDM, depowder etc), powder handling & tracking and ultimately pushing the current technology to the limits and driving the future of powder additive across the industry with key partners. In addition, due to the close coupled nature of printing & machining, this position is also accountable for all machining operations & automation to support propulsion + all other Relativity departments.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Grow and lead a world class additive manufacturing team of mixed roles (engineers, researchers, technicians) and responsibilities (research and development, production, engineering, operations).
- Rapidly evaluate and demonstrate the viability of new additive technology for use on flight hardware.
- Set direction and priorities for additive technology. Asses viable options and invest team resources appropriately.
- Ramp production of additive hardware at to meet rate and quality requirements for production.
- Establish and grow a network of relationships with supply chain, engineering, and downstream manufacturing groups.
- Set strategic and tactical goals, priorities, and objectives for the additive group.
You have experience and passion for developing cutting edge technology at a rapid pace and an aptitude for transforming science into smoothly-operating engineering and application. You have a strong background and interest both in the areas of operations, production, and process as well as in materials research and development. You are comfortable and experienced working in a fast paced aerospace environment leading a high performance team working on critical projects. You are primed to build, develop, and lead a team capable of quickly growing, learning, and adapting to all these responsibilities. You are prepared and eager to have a significant influence on an impactful startup that encourages growth and risk.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, manufacturing engineering, or similar.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience leading or managing a cross-disciplined technical team.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a production environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in powder based additive manufacturing or similar fields.
- Experience managing external vendors and supply chains.
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- Self-aware and able to influence others outside of your organization, including those in Engineering, Supply Chain, Production, and Integration.
- Demonstrated experience coaching, mentoring, developing, and managing team members.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or another related field.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
- Experience designing, implementing and operating digital manufacturing execution systems (MES) and processes.
- Knowledge of CAD and design for additive manufacturing and a grasp of GD&T principles.
- Experience with numerical analysis including fluid and structural (CFD, FEA).
- Strong grasp of materials science and thermal processing of metals.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Working knowledge of laser and optical systems.
- Working knowledge of rocket propulsion systems.
- Highly organized and able to provide structure and direction to the previously undefined.
- Experience making large capital expenditures and setting purchasing strategy.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.