Director I - RAMS Engineering (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability & Safety) at Virgin Hyperloop
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
The Director of RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability & Safety) will be responsible for the system safety life cycle activities including but not limited to hazard identification, risk evaluation, safety requirement definition, hazard management, safety analysis, safety approval process and safety case(s).
An ideal candidate must be able to manage multiple cross-functional projects across the Virgin Hyperloop organization and may be required to coordinate outside resources in the U.S. and internationally.
The Director of RAMS must be able to work independently: flexibility, relationship building, communication skills and time management are essential to success in this position.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Maintain responsibility of the planning and coordination of Safety Engineering activities
- Act as the Engineering Safety Authority of the organization for the Chief Technical Officer
- Produce and maintain the System Safety Management Plan
- Co-ordinate the timely production of the necessary design safety documentation, especially the relevant safety cases, hazard logs and related documentation for approval milestones
- Conduct/facilitate Hazard Analysis, Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis and other safety studies with Engineering groups
- Define system safety requirements and apportion them to the subsystems
- Participate and coordinate as applicable the safety reviews during the project lifecycle
- Manage the corrective actions required in case of non-conformity of deviations from the RAMS targets
- Review the design with a potential impact on the system safety performances.
- Be responsible for the independent verification and validation of the supplied system and the safety integrity of the technical solution, with respect to Safety requirements
- Work with the Certification and Regulatory Compliance (CRC) team to interface with Transportation Authorities, Regulatory Authorities, Independent Safety Assessors (ISA’s) etc.
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- B.S. degree in EE/System Engineering or related
- Proven experience in highly-complex and innovative engineering projects, especially in the Rail and/or aviation and aerospace industries
- Proven record of developing safety specifications and requirements in design, development, and production environments for transportation, aeronautical, autonomous vehicles, or similar complex systems
- Proven record of developing complex safety cases, hazard logs and interfacing with Safety Agencies and regulatory authorities.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and maintaining safety systems in compliance (at least) one of the following: IEC 61508, EN 5012x, ISO 26262, MIL-STD-822E, DO-178B
- Experience with FMEA/FMECA, Fault Tree Analysis, Hazard Analysis
- Ability to work independently, within a team, and with other groups
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to dialogue, negotiate, influence and work with other collaboratively and constructively
- Strategic Focus/Vision to translate vision and strategy into a clear, actionable goals
- Must be willing and able to travel internationally
NICE TO HAVE
- 10+ years of applicable experience
- Proven experience in mass transportation or aerospace projects
- M.S. and/or PhD in EE/Systems Engineering
- Development, certification and commercialization of new products
- Experience with requirements management tools such as JIRA, DOORS etc.
- Experience with Isograph suite (FaultTree+)
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave