Team and Role Overview:
Relativity is searching for a Director of Additive to lead a team comprised of software, automation, materials, mechanical, and weld process engineers. This position will play a crucial role in expanding our fleet of autonomous printers for 3D printing rockets by owning the programs that will further this technology. Your work will be foundational for our future off-planet printers. This is a key role to help us build the future of humanity in space; as our technology and 3D printers are one of our most important assets!
The Mission/ Outcomes and Objectives:
To support our mission to re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown, you will be heading our Additive team to develop 3D printers with capabilities to print large scale rocket structures and components. You will be leading up the efforts in the strategic planning of projects and their required resources to further this goal. As we grow, you will also oversee the overall design and build-out of new revisions of our printers.
A main component of this role will also be managing and recruiting a team of passionate individuals —including development, coaching, team building, and performance management. You’ll need to delegate intelligently, deliver frequent and honest feedback, and unblock and mentor engineers for growth opportunities. Your strong communication skills and ability to engage a team, in addition to your influence and collaborative skills to partner with leadership other teams will directly contribute to your success. On a day to day, you will be managing the additive program and working closely with our CTO and CEO to create and implement the product roadmap for our in house 3D printers. You will be working closely with our the rocket design teams to ensure the teams are aligned and work efficiently together.
You have experience managing and leading complex teams, and ideally, you have grown a team in a fast paced environment. In this role, you will be leading a team that is developing a unique piece of technology—you should be comfortable navigating previously uncharted technology roadmaps.
Specific industries don’t matter much in this role—what’s important is that you have worked on complex technology development with the know-how to grow such teams, balance their resources and their timelines so that we can execute strongly while having a high performing and engaged team.
You should bring deep technical skills within a highly technical domain, a focused and empathetic approach to leadership, and drive to develop a healthy team culture. Lastly, you are someone who has excellent communication skills, as you will be interfacing with your direct reports, other functional groups, and external customers on a regular basis.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelors in an engineering field and engineering leadership experience and/or equivalent in a relevant field
- 5+ years of experience developing and building technology development teams
- Track record of building and managing a team while interfacing with other engineering groups
- Solid interpersonal skills to interact with both internal and external groups to overcome associated constraints
- Background working in a fast paced, full cycle environment (in R&D environment a plus)
- Strong Analytical and problem solving skills
- Prior experience recruiting, interviewing, and hiring cross-functional technical teams coupled with strong management and people development skills
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Degree in Engineering
- Experience in Additive Manufacturing Technology
- Expertise in various welding techniques and analysis tools
- Knowledge of Aerospace design and test specifications
- Hands on experience working with Kuka Robots, industrial welding equipment and their integration with robotic cells
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.