Design Engineer - Automation
The Automation Team serves to support the development, manufacturing, and installation of Hyperloop systems globally. The team specifies, designs, procures, and fabricates a wide variety of automated manufacturing and assembly/installation equipment. The Design Engineer is an integral member of the Automation Team who provides expertise and capability in mechanical engineering to enable the success of departmental projects.
The Design Engineer will be responsible for owning the mechanical aspects of various machinery and tooling projects. These may vary from small R&D tasks to large-scale production equipment. The Design Engineer will work with internal customers to define the needs and specifications for their projects. These projects will generally be interdisciplinary, and the engineer will work with other members of the Automation Team (electrical controls, software, and applications engineers) to deliver an integrated and functional solution.
- Designing systems, mechanisms, and components for automated machinery and tools
- Integration of off-the-shelf and custom robotics, actuation, sensors, vision systems
- CAD and drawing creation
- Building and testing prototypes
- Working with internal customers on manufacturability and process definition
- Working with interdisciplinary teams on controls and software integration
- Working with and managing external suppliers
- Supporting equipment deployment at Hyperloop One facilities and vendor facilities as needed
The candidate must be an experienced engineer with demonstrated talent and capability in mechanical design. Specifically, he or she should be able to show a track record of successful machine design and tooling projects. The candidate should have a strong grasp of engineering physics and mechanical intuition, as well as familiarity with standard manufacturing and fabrication processes. He or she must be an excellent communicator, and thrive in a high-energy, quick-moving, and interdisciplinary workplace
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated talent and track record in automation and machine design
- Ability to size and specify actuators, sensors, vision systems, and other automation peripherals
- Experience using Unigraphics NX, SolidWorks, or equivalent CAD software
- Mastery of engineering drawings and tolerances
- Understanding of GD&T, Y14.5M-2009
- Broad knowledge of materials and fabrication processes
- Familiarity with controls and software concepts
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BS or higher in an engineering field
- 3+ years in a mechanical design role, in an industrial automation and/or machine building environment
- Understanding of CE, NFPA 79, and SEMI S8 compliance
- Experience in tooling design
- Experience in automation application development
- Analysis (FEA) experience
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.