Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are looking for a CAD Design Engineer to join the vehicle structures team and help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket to space.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be responsible for managing large Terran 1 launch vehicle assembly models, defining CAD best practices, and bringing critical flight structures from concept to drawing release while working in close collaboration with structures engineers and analysts.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Manage upper level vehicle assemblies such Vehicle Stages, Thrust Structure, Interstage, Payload Accommodations and mechanisms.
- Innovative conceptualization of flight structural components and adjacent system packaging, tailored for our additive process.
- Design support of structures engineer and analysts, including generation of unique geometries and drawings.
- Design support of manufacturing engineers, including creation of tools or fixtures design.
- Create and maintain design best practices, parts libraries and improve CAD functionality/applications.
- Create supporting documents for hardware design reviews.
Your mission will be to deliver these projects on time, and in order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our design, test, additive and manufacturing teams.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is self-motivated, thrives in ambiguity, and is able to lead his or her own projects to completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects with extreme ownership while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing flight or ground components using NX/TeamCenter, supporting designs with hand calculations, working closely with our analysis team, and creating and releasing drawings, as well as maintaining high level assemblies for the Terran 1 launch vehicle. Your designs will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and champion your recommendation when decisions are needed.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role and a Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- Extensive experience with NX/TeamCenter, as well as Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Strong communication skills and proven track record of problem solving.
- Fundamental knowledge of aerospace engineering and materials science.
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years of aerospace experience.
- Working knowledge of structural analysis.
- Strong project management skills.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.