Aerodynamics Engineer at Virgin Hyperloop
The aero-thermal team is responsible for the analysis, design, and testing of aero-thermal systems for the Hyperloop transportation system. These include a variety of moving and stationary components including the pod, the electric propulsion, the electromagnetic levitation, the de-pressurization pumps, the re-pressurization valves, the airlocks and air-docks, the tubes, the pylons, the tunnels, and the portals (stations). We are seeking candidates with various levels of experience to join our team of qualified and diverse individuals at our Los Angeles facility.
The Aerodynamics Engineer will have the opportunity to participate in the aerodynamic design and analysis of the Hyperloop’s key mechanical system and subsystems, as well as the experimental platforms developed for the testing of these systems.
The Aerodynamics Engineer is responsible for aerodynamic analysis, design, and testing:
- Select the appropriate analytical methods
- Develop the numerical simulation workflows
- Leverage existing software and hardware to their fullest capabilities
- Lead in designing complex multidisciplinary aerodynamics solutions
- Support hardware teams with fluid dynamic loads for their existing designs
- Collaborate with Test & Dev in designing test rigs and selecting appropriate sensors and instruments
- Draft test plans for the experimental validation of the analytical and numerical solutions above
- Participate in executing experiments
- Data analysis, post-processing, and results presentation
The candidate must be able to conduct extensive analyses for complex problems and thrive in a fast-paced environment. In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Excellent problem-solving skills.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related fields
- Deep understanding of fluid dynamics
- Experience in one or more of the following related fields:
- Compressible flow, shock dynamics
- Boundary layer
- Low Reynolds number flow
- Turbulence models
- Aerodynamic analysis using:
- First principle models
- Reduced order models
- 3D numerical simulations
- Experience running CFD simulation software (STAR-CCM+, ANSYS Fluent/CFX).
- Unsteady Overset/Moving Mesh knowledge
- Experience in data post-processing methods, software, and algorithms
- Aero-acoustics experience
- CAD experience. Siemens NX and Teamcenter
- Familiarity with multi-disciplinary optimization methods and software packages
- Hands-on laboratory setup of experiments and wind tunnel testing