Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. The Materials and Processes Team plays a crucial role in this mission by evaluating and improving the materials that make our vehicle. We are searching for an Additive Manufacturing Materials Engineer who will be responsible for developing additive manufacturing technologies and materials to manufacture new hardware. A high degree of self-motivation, organization skills and attention to detail is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Your main objective will be to successfully implement new AM processes and materials to push new products forward across the company. Relativity Space is focused on 3D printing rockets and associated hardware with the ultimate goal of 3D printing a rocket on Mars. The Materials Team is a key contributor to the Relativity Space mission by designing, understanding, and developing our materials. Managing large projects from conception to completion is a key objective to attaining our goals.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing individual with a self-starter attitude. A successful Additive Manufacturing Materials Engineer at Relativity Space will have excellent communication skills and the ability to work with internal and external customers/suppliers to support company needs. Having worked with additive manufacturing equipment and materials is desired. The ideal candidate should have an excellent understanding of AM processes, common AM metals’ properties, and materials characterization. The candidate also should be strong in organization and documentation.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science or materials engineering, or a related field preferred.
- 3+ years industry experience or equivalent.
- Experience working directly with additive manufacturing systems, specifically Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) systems.
- Demonstrated experience developing additive processes to achieve new geometries/features.
- Experience with materials characterization laboratories and techniques.
- Experience with aerospace metallic materials (nickel alloys, copper, aluminum, etc.).
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Masters or PhD. in materials science or materials engineering, or a related field preferred.
- Prior experience taking ownership of additive manufacturing technologies and systems, with emphasis on operating and maintaining those systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.