Additive Hardware Manufacturing Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first fully 3D printed rocket and the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets.
We're building an additive team that's ready to discover, develop, create, and operate the most advanced additive manufacturing technologies in the world. In order to do that, we need strong, driven technical leaders, project managers and operators.
As an engineer in our small-scale additive production group you will be responsible for all auxiliary processing of our Laser Powder Bed Fusion (SLM / DMLS / DMLM) additive hardware. From powder handling and removal machines, EDM, bandsaw, grinding, and machining to automation and development of new devices and equipment, you will be the expert in all parts of our hardware post-processing, equipment, and facility.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Serve as company-wide subject matter expert for all aspects of additive auxiliary- and post-processing.
- Improve, streamline, and automate all aspects of additive manufacturing.
- Leverage expertise to inform design of hardware and drive success and consistency to 100%.
- Ramp production of additive hardware at to meet rate and quality requirements for production.
- Continuously improve speed, quality, transparency, and responsiveness of additive production.
You're an experienced engineer intimately familiar with additively manufactured hardware and all its quirks. You're a jack of all trades with experience purchasing, designing, and operating all types of machinery, equipment, and tooling. You constantly tinker and work to understand and improve all machinery you touch. You're comfortable running a wire EDM machine or surface grinder one day and automating a processing by designing and coding a PLC circuit the next. You actively seek out the next big problem to solve and love to stay at the forefront of new techniques and technologies.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, manufacturing engineering, or similar.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working in a production environment.
- Strong grasp of at least one CAD program, design for additive manufacturing, and GD&T.
- Experience managing external vendors and supply chains.
- Minimum of 2 years working with processing of metals including heat treat and other processing of microstructure or chemistry.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in tooling design, machine, and other forms of manufacturing.
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or another related field.
- 1 or more years working directly in powder bed additive manufacturing.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Extensive experience in tooling design and manufacturing and various machining and tradational manufacturing processes.
- Experience with data collection and management (eg SQL).
- Experience with basic electronics and programming for data acquisition and control (eg PLC's, LabView, Python).
- Working knowledge of rocket propulsion systems.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.