Technical Designer at Ruggable (Greater LA Area, CA)
Ruggable is a Los Angeles-based, venture-backed, rapidly growing e-commerce startup that is disrupting the $7B rug industry and revolutionizing the market for residential rugs. Our patented 2-Piece Rug System allows you to remove the top layer of your rug and wash it in your home washing machine, offering an affordable, stylish and convenient solution for young families, pet owners, and busy individuals. We're a small, entrepreneurial team with big ambitions. We have a strong brand, established traction, and amazing advisors fueling our steady growth. This is an opportunity to get in at the ground floor and solve for complex challenges, while charting your own career.
Levity (levityhome.com) is a new brand in the Ruggable portfolio. Launched in December 2020, Levity’s mission is to build and deliver innovative furniture products that let our customers live without worry. Much like Ruggable rugs, our patent-pending Chair Systems have removable upholstery that can be washed in a home washing machine and easily interchanged for new styles. Though it varies across functions, we operate largely independently (think: startup within a startup), giving you the unique ability to help shape the early trajectory of this new business.
We are seeking an experienced Technical Designer who will work closely with Industrial Design, Product Development, Sample Room, and Global Sourcing teams in the creation and execution of revolutionary concepts that solve consumer pain points. The Technical Designer will be responsible for the ideation, construction, and testing of physical soft goods prototypes that turn into highly functional production-ready products. The core of our business is furniture with removable, tailored covers. As the Technical Designer, you will be responsible for developing the fit and construction for our furniture collection.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive the design and development of innovative soft-goods products from ideation through to production.
- Ensure products meet aesthetic, manufacturing, costing, and functional requirements.
- Oversee patterning and construction of prototypes and sew-by samples to test and/or validate functional concepts.
- Direct and manage workflow/priorities for sample sewers/cutters.
- Build technical packages that include technical sketches, construction details, BOMs and measurement charts on a wide range of furniture upholstery covers.
- Work with overseas factories to develop upholstery covers, with a meticulous and analytical eye until the fit and function is perfected and ready for production.
- Ideate, research, and mock up new innovative attachment concepts.
- Work with the Operation team to ensure production readiness by approving production patterns, developing sewing instructions, and ensuring the product meets all testing criteria.
- Review and approve pre-production line samples before launch of products.
- Gather insights, make recommendations, and present status updates to Design Management.
- This role is 30% pattern making/drafting.
What You’ll Need to Have:
- 5+ years of experience in pattern making and/or technical design
- Highly proficient in pattern making and construction of soft goods products (e.g., upholstery, home goods, and/or garments, etc.)
- A strong understanding of material/textile and trim properties
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent project management, analytical, and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, pattern digitization, and project management software
- Ability to lift, assemble, and move large and heavy objects (e.g. furniture)
- Experience in full product life cycle development (ideation to mass production)
- Knowledge of BOMs, target margins, and costing analysis
- Experience with in-house manufacturing
- Experience with furniture upholstery, denim or suit tailoring technical design
- Experience using various workshop tools to create a wide range of prototypes
- Experience with digital pattern making
- $65,000 - $73,000 per year
- Annual bonus percentage dependent on level of role
At Ruggable, we offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. Ruggable is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We proudly recruit and hire a diverse workforce and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
To all recruitment agencies: Ruggable does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Ruggable employees or any other company destination. Ruggable is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.