Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated and quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, and repackage it into something simple, intuitive, and enjoyable.
That’s why we don’t distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them — part business strategist, part user researcher, and 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Lead Designer
As a Lead Designer at Better, you will be a highly strategic, self-sufficient problem solver. You bring impeccable design taste, a meticulous attention-to-detail, and a passion for representing the user. You will help navigate the complexities of daily UX and service design problems, while helping push the boundary of what design means at Better. We’re looking for Lead Designers who are excited by building something from scratch. As a Lead, that’s what you’ll do -- lead, define, and deliver work with tangible business value and real user impact. That means that you partner with Product Managers, Researchers, Engineers and other Designers to shape the overall vision and uphold the standards of the solution.
Collaboration and critique is at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, and a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we don’t waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, and iterate -- early and often.
As a Lead Designer, you will help uphold and build on this approach. We’re looking for someone to elevate the team, own user-first solutions to business problems, and always look for ways to simplify the experience.
What you bring:
- 6-8 years of experience shipping high-quality user experience solutions
- Proven experience leading designers, projects, and processes including insights, ideation, validation, and implementation
- An ability to blend craft and form -- a deep understanding of composition, balance, and layout with an appreciation for business and strategic needs
- Expertise developing and conveying ideas, data, and business concepts clearly in written and visual format
- Ability to provide a variety of approaches to problem-solving and product development
- Passion for design across digital products, service design, and brand development
- Meticulous attention to detail across applied to everything from strategic and creative direction to usability and pixel-level aesthetics
- Experience partnering with Engineers and Product Managers to ship work on time and scale in line with tech implementations/limits
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter attitude with no problem adapting or flexing on a daily basis
- Extensive experience iterating on products and services in market
- Ability to execute, lead, and oversee functional visual and interaction designs -- including layout, hierarchy, typography, motion, composition, UX, and UI applications
- Relentless desire to push your limits, critique your own work, and elevate the work of those around you
- Organization and analytical skills
- Experience working across web, iOS, and Android implementations
- Deep understanding of the rationale behind good versus bad user experience
- Expertise in Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, and Google Slides
- Self-sufficient prototyping skills in programs like Invision and Principle
What you’ll do
- Continue to help build out our design system
- Lead a team of Designers and Writers through ideation, concepting, detailed design, prototyping (we don’t present here) and final delivery
- Uncover interdependencies, trade-offs, and risks within a given project - making them visible and collaborating to resolve challenges early
- Collaborate with our Brand team to craft compelling stories through copy, video, animation, illustration, and photography.
- Craft elegant complex end-to-end user flows for multiple scenarios and user archetypes
- Synthesize product and business goals into user-centric design solutions across multiple products and experiences.
- Work with Product Managers and Engineers to set project KPIs, monitor its success, and optimize based on results
- Work with Designers and Product Managers to set timeline expectations and create project plans
- Work with Designers to prototype and envision future product features, including phased feature rollouts and short-term vs. long-term solutions based on engineering constraints
- Help define and iterate how our brand should be expressed across our product.
- Work across teams to ensure we are utilizing both qualitative and quantitative insights into our design process and are clear about how they influence design decisions.
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers and Researchers right hand and you’ll work closely to solve complex problems, find compromises and plan effectively.
- Mentor fellow designers, encouraging them to take appropriate risks, and providing constructive support, feedback, and critique
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.