To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
Virgin Hyperloop’s Pod Mechanical Systems and Structures team is responsible for designing and delivering our production hyperloop passenger vehicle. This team has primary ownership of the vehicle’s structure and structural subsystems (interior and exterior), as well as mechanisms and mechanical subsystems aboard the vehicle.
We’re a multidisciplinary, cross-functional team that designs and integrates numerous systems across the pod.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Fully own the mechanical design of complex sub-systems including the vehicle’s chassis, structure, mechanisms, or suspension from conceptualization through testing and production
- Create solutions to meet challenging requirements
- Analyze and verify the design with hand calculations and FEA
- Create and maintain CAD models of components and assemblies
- Define the scope of component or subscale tests and deliver on the build of required mechanical components to mitigate design risks
- Work with internal teams and external vendors to ensure timely build and delivery of functional hardware
- Develop team guidelines, processes and best practices to ensure consistent, high-quality engineering design in all products; leverage industry best practices
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or related engineering field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 year of experience in Mechanical or Aerospace Design Engineering role.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in Mechanical or Aerospace Design Engineering role outside of academic experience related to a completed doctorate (e.g. PhD) program.
- Demonstrated design experience in which you carried a mechanical design from “cradle-to-grave”, with sole engineering ownership of and responsibility for a clearly defined aspect of the design project.
- Understanding mechanical design sizing and modeling at various levels of fidelity from roughly sized concepts to fully detailed models analyzed against a suite of load cases
- Knowledge of attachments and joints (bolts and screws, pins, welding, joint stiffness)
- Strong knowledge of mechanics of materials (stress, strain, stiffness, torsion, bending, buckling, structural shapes, etc.)
- Knowledge of general structural materials (carbon and alloy steels, aluminum)
- Proficient level skill in at least one CAD package with a strong working knowledge of GD&T
- Working familiarity with Finite Element Analysis (common constraints and load types and their behavior, a strong sense for good approximations of physical situations, basic meshing)
- Hands-on knowledge of manufacturing and fabrication methods
- Knowledge of dynamic mechanical systems and basic structural dynamics (damping, stiffness, resonance, modes and mode shapes, transient response)
NICE TO HAVE
- Vehicle mechanism and structure design experience
- Deep experience in GD&T, exact constraints
- Knowledge of designing of critical load-bearing structures
- Experience with validation and verification of mechanical systems using laboratory and in-field testing
- Knowledge of design of actuated electromechanical assemblies (e.g. involving rotary or linear motors, gear reductions, lead or ball screws, instrumentation, and control)
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave