Manager of Structures Engineering at Relativity Space (Greater LA Area, CA)
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Structures team at Relativity is responsible for the design, analysis, testing, and manufacturing our launch vehicle integrated structures, as well as flight mechanisms. As a part of this team, you will be given hardware ownership for the full product lifecycle, and get the opportunity to conveniently validate your hardware through testing at our factory of the future, headquartered in Long Beach, CA. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to leverage Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing technology to develop world class integrated launch vehicles. Overall, this team is critical to the launch success of Terran 1 & Terran R, among many other firsts!
What you’ll do:
You will play a key role in finalizing the Terran 1 flight structures as well as developing the structural architecture of the upcoming Terran R vehicle, along with growing an amazingly talented team. Your team will be responsible for the full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, manufacturing and testing of primary and secondary structures related to Thrust Structure, Propellant Tanks, Interstage and/or Fairing. You will need to think creatively to leverage our additive technology to reduce mass, parts count, processes and tooling required.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Serve as technical authority for structures design in collaboration with Relativity’s engineering leadership
- Hire, train, guide and mentor structures & design engineers to be efficient, hardware-focused, collaborative, and technically rigorous
- Innovative conceptualization of structural load path, design of complex structures, definition of system packaging, guidance of test campaigns as well as support of manufacturing processes
- Review of static & dynamic load inputs, material properties, and additive process features development, along with establishing structural systems & subsystems requirements
In order to be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, adaptable and is able to lead a team in a fast paced environment. You should also be able to resolve ambiguity and drive projects to completion. Ideally, you have significant mechanical or structural design and leadership experience as well as a proven track record completing collaborative projects effectively.
On a weekly basis, you will be providing guidance for the team, upholding the highest level of accountability, reviewing or creating design of flight components, reviewing or performing analysis, as well as supporting fabrication and testing of your team’s components. Designs will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and move forward your recommendation when decisions are needed.
What you need to know:
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or related field
- 3+ years of technical leadership, hiring and performance management experience
- Demonstrated ownership, accountability and success in delivering complex products on time and budget with minimal guidance
- Fundamental knowledge of structures design, analysis, manufacturing and testing
Nice to haves but not required:
- 5+ years of technical leadership, hiring and performance management experience
- Experience in a startup or fast pace development environment
- Strong problem solver with great organization skills
- Experience with NX, Teamcenter, Ansys and Femap
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.