Lead Level Designer at Zwift
Seniority Level: Mid-Senior
Location: Long Beach, CA
About the role and about You:
You are a talented Lead Level Designer who will create AAA gameplay experiences for the world’s most immersive virtual cycling and running platform. You will have deep experience creating levels for top tier action games (preferably racing, running, or other types of persistent movement gameplay for console & PC). You will have experience with diverse controller and hardware systems, a finely tuned sense of responsive and rewarding interactions, and a strong aptitude for both learning and leading.
What you’ll do:
- Design and build virtual running and cycling levels to deliver the world’s best “gamified fitness” experience
- Partner with the Game Directors to “find the fun” and drive the game vision for level design
- Lead and collaborate with a team of talented environment artists and gameplay specialists
- Create clear, actionable design docs & presentations; incorporate insights from peer disciplines
- Own level design reviews, iteration process, and presentations to leadership; call out risks and incorporate feedback
- Partner with Producers, PMs & UX designers to ensure accurate scoping, scheduling, and on-time deliveries
- Stay on top of competitive products in the interactive fitness space as well as the AAA video game market
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years experience in game design, with multiple shipped action games
- 5+ years working on live games, preferably cross-platform MMOs
- Experience designing and building levels for racing/movement games for console & PC
- Expert knowledge of Maya & Photoshop
- Strong working knowledge of one or more world-building editors (e.g., Unity, Unreal, home-grown)
- A diplomatic & inclusive leadership style with a cross-discipline approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable with ambiguity, a lightning-fast pace, and a high degree of ownership
- Finalists will be required to provide design samples and complete an assignment
- Experience shipping cross-platform games, especially: iOS, tvOS, Android, Mac, and PC.
- Experience designing for a wide variety of game controllers and interactive hardware components
- Interest in creating fun experiences for cycling, running, and overall fitness.
How to stand out among the rest:
Your resume is enough to show off your skills, accomplishments, and experience. However, if you choose to include a cover letter introducing us to your awesome personality, we will read that too.
Of course, we are nothing without our values. Our values ground us. They ensure we run and build a company where people love to work, feel like they are welcomed, included, and belong. Only then can they thrive and do their best work. The values we strive to live every day are:
- Make It Fun
- Elevate Teammates
- Cultivate Our Community
- Always Level Up
- One Zwift for All
We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Zwift is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected].
Zwift, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.