Senior Data Engineer at GumGum
The Senior Data Engineer is responsible for building and maintaining our Big Data systems that drive numerous business functions using near real-time data analytics solutions. This role has a core focus on improving performance and scalability of key Big Data systems that are essential for operating our advertising business.
Reporting to our Engineering Manager, this role works as part of a team of engineers in the technology division of our advertising business.
- Refining our data infrastructure using technologies such as Spark, Druid, Kafka, AirFlow and Snowflake to support real-time analysis of data
- Work with stakeholders in various departments to fully understand the business requirements and translate them into data models.
- Own the core data pipelines and scale our data processing flow
- Design and build scalable systems, lead technical discussions, participate in code reviews, guide the team in engineering best practices. Must be able to write quality code and build secure, highly available systems.
- Generate reports using Groovy, SQL and Java
- Work on GumGum’s proprietary forecasting system
- Lead POCs to certify and test the capabilities of emerging technologies
- Maximize the growth of our junior and intermediate engineers via mentorship
- At least a Bachelor's degree in computer science/information systems or equivalent
- 2+ year experience with Apache Spark
- 3+ years of Software Engineering experience (Java/Scala/Python)
- 3+ years working with large scale distributed real-time systems using tools such as AWS, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop
- Minimum 5 years of overall experience is required
- Spark with Scala, Java or Python
- Strong understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases
- Familiar with various AWS services, Serverless architecture and containers
- Must be able to write quality code and build secure, highly available systems.
- Strong oral and written communication
- Self-starter who can take initiative and lead projects
- Enthusiasm for exploring new technologies - picking up new technology should be fun for them
- Able to explain technical concepts to developers and project managers in a way that they understand and is effective
- Desire to work with a team of people solving complex problems and sharing knowledge freely
- Can execute individually but also operate as part of a distributed team
- Is flexible in approach. Knows there is not one way to solve a problem and can get to the best solution for GumGum through collaboration without locking in on a personal position.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employer + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Verity, GumGum's contextual analysis tool, combines natural language processing with computer vision technology to execute a multi-layered reading process by parsing the body text, headlines, image captions with natural language processing; at the same time, using computer vision to parse the main visuals.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed. Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum
Leaders: How to make priority a self care - featuring GumGum CEO
Contextual Wins - a Message from our CEO
BuiltInLA Best Places to work 2020
Inc. Magazine Best Places to Work 2020
Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
Front Office Sports - Rising 25 members
GumGum x Ad Council Partnership - Love has no labels
GumGum Women in Tech Panel - Living a Balanced Life
Women of GumGum Around the World
GumGum Sports - Sizzle Reel - 2019 (EMEA)