BlackLine is looking for a Manager, Database Services to join our Cloud Engineering and Operations team. In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing the very thing that makes BlackLine possible: our databases. You will lead a team of passionate database experts who will help drive the evolution of our platform and deliver availability, scalability, and operational efficiency. At BlackLine, the data our customers trust us with is vital not just because of that trust, but also because of how it used and the power it represents. If you are a believer in the power of data, an agent of change in the data world, and looking for a challenge where you can help shape and mold the future of our company, then our fast-paced and growing company will provide ample opportunity for a candidate who can effect change, advocate for improvements, and partner across peers to the success of us all.
Roles and Responsibility
- Oversee database capacity management and performance tuning for thousands of clients.
- Lead, retain, and grow a team of database administrators.
- Help define standards for database configuration management, optimization, scaling, resiliency and recovery.
- Lead a 24x7 DBA team, supporting multiple datacenters to ensure the availability of the BlackLine service.
- Develop, apply and promote consistent data and database management standards through standard processes and SOPs.
- Collaborate with functional managers and stakeholders to propose new solutions that enhance and drive revenue growth.
- Support database specific monitoring and alerting tools
- Design and implementation support for database related products required to deliver new and existing customer facing products and services
- Help design and operate a highly available data as a service platform in large distributed and virtual environments.
- Drive problem resolution to root cause and take initiative in identifying and fixing broken processes.
Education: BS in Computer Science or a related field.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years' experience in the database management or related areas with the ability to manage technical teams
- Familiarity with privacy and security controls in database environments.
- Proven ability to work across a wide organization to achieve results based on technical vision.
- Cross-system and full-stack architecture experience and awareness.
- Fundamental knowledge of compute, storage, and networking.
- Working knowledge of cloud technologies and their business application.
- Working knowledge of Linux and/or Windows operating systems.
- Working knowledge of Agile frameworks.
- Proven leader at building effective/high performing teams.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
- Ability to communicate well with both business owners and technical staff, at the appropriate level for both.
- Strong intra team and cross functional collaboration skills.
- Must be an expert in SQL Server design, modeling, implementation, stored procedures and performance tuning.
- ITIL knowledge is a plus.
- Experience with NoSQL databases like MongoDB and cloud database platforms a plus.