The Lead on the Machine Learning Engineering team is responsible for leading the technical direction of the Verity project as well as assisting with the prioritization and planning of required engineering work. This role is responsible for architecting the entire Verity platform. Specifically, the role is responsible for ensuring the team’s designs are of high quality, cost-effective, and highly scalable while handling millions of requests per minute and terabytes of data daily. These systems include all aspects of the Verity technology stacks including Databricks Spark Streaming, DynamoDB, Java-based web service, AWS, Kafka, Redis in addition to interfacing with Python-based Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing software services.
This role is critical to the success of the Verity product due to its high complexity and scale. The person in this role must be strong in software architecture, data engineering, and AWS.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
- System Design - System design and support of Machine Learning technology stacks including Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing
- Technical direction - Ensure all components are designed with high scalability and fault tolerance to serve millions of requests per minute.
- Cost management - Design cost-efficient systems while refactoring legacy systems to reduce cost
- Technical Execution - Develop and maintain Verity’s big data infrastructure to support Customer and KPI Reporting using technologies such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark.
- Quality Assurance - Conduct design and code reviews
- Continuous Learning - Keep abreast of developments in the field externally and develop any necessary internal training for the team
- Project and Stakeholder Management - Drive planning and prioritization meetings with Verity stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate Leadership - Mentor junior and senior engineers on the Machine Engineering Team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of Software Engineering experience (Java/Scala/Python)
- 5+ years of working with large scale distributed systems with platforms such as AWS, Spark, and Kafka
- Experience mentoring junior developers
- Experience working in greenfield environments where solutions aren’t necessarily readily available in market
- Ability to design highly scalable machine learning systems in the cloud
- Deep knowledge of probability, statistics, and algorithms
- Expert ability to write robust code in Python, Java, or Scala
- Mentorship of Machine Learning Engineers
- Ability to design systems to support large amounts of data providing near-real-time insights to customer usage
- Expert level understanding of complicated data structures
- Great communication skills to communicate with both technical and non-technical cross-functional team members and stakeholders
- Project management and excellent prioritization skills
- Understanding of software architecture, data structures, and data modeling as well as how to strategically plan for key commercial goals
- The ability to make technical decisions influence stakeholders
- Enjoy growing and mentoring junior engineers
- Ability to rapidly and effectively change context throughout the day
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies!
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Verity, GumGum's contextual analysis tool, combines natural language processing with computer vision technology to execute a multi-layered reading process by parsing the body text, headlines, image captions with natural language processing; at the same time, using computer vision to parse the main visuals.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum