Data Engineer at Pluto TV
Pluto TV, a Viacom company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 100+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.About Viacom
Viacom creates entertainment experiences that drive conversation and culture around the world. Through television, film, digital media, live events, merchandise and solutions, our brands connect with diverse, young and the young at heart audiences in more than 180 countries.
For more information on Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com. Keep up with Viacom news by following us on Twitter (twitter.com/viacom), Facebook (facebook.com/viacom) and LinkedIn (linkedin.com/company/viacom).Summary
As a Data Engineer, you have a solid understanding of both the business and the technical aspects of BI in relation to digital media business. You will drive the completion of projects within the established scope, while simultaneously planning for and leading unknown future BI requirements in a dynamic environment.Responsibilities Include
This role has a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Design, model and develop data sets to support reporting and analytics in a cloud environment.
- ETL development: cover all aspects of programming assignments and assist with systems design.
- Develop and maintain a technical metadata framework and repository of data events and ETL operations.
- Lead and administer Analytics tools and tag management systems.
- Help plan and maintain the technical infrastructure, its configuration, performance, and storage requirements, with consideration of tiered data and data archiving.
- Generate ad-hoc queries and reports based on business requirements.
- Provide ongoing evaluations of technology solutions and capabilities to ensure alignment with business objectives, identify areas of risk, while monitoring the current environment and potential improvement areas.
- Work with business partners to gather, analyze, and translate requirements in BI reporting area – either recommending an existing solution, developing a solution, or synthesizing delivery requirements to engineering teams for development.
- Actively question and challenge customers to understand their requirements and reach the best solutions, near and long term.
- Understand and adhere to development and documentation standards, database design and storage.
- Successfully execute process improvements impacting own work and work of others.
- On-call application support is required.
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role:
- 3+ years of premier Data engineering experience; at least 2 years on cloud Infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of digital media ecosystem, including how digital video streaming, ad servers, DSPs, SSPs work.
- Experience with a mix of Cloud and Enterprise data environments with real world implementation of data collection and processing on AWS environment.
- Knowledge of web technologies and online advertising systems.
- Experience with real-time Big Data analytics.
- Experience with Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Flink and/or other Big Data processing platforms.
- Excellent knowledge of OLAP concepts.
- Familiarity with columnar databases like Redshift, Vertica etc.
- Programming language such as Java, and scripting languages like python, ruby and Unix shell scripts.
- Experienced working in a fast-paced, high-tech environment (preferably software development) and comfortable navigating conflicting priorities and ambiguous problems.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau.
- Great communication and collaboration skills across technical and non-technical partners.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent preferred.
Citizens of Pluto TV have the privilege of entertaining millions of people. We are entrepreneurs looking to revolutionize the future of TV. While our planet is small, our ambition is boundless. The stakes don’t get much higher.
Becoming a Citizen is hard work. We need self-starters that thrive in changing environments, who treat company resources like their own, and who deliver seemingly impossible outcomes at warp speed. It’s the only way we stay ahead of the giants looking to take the opportunity we have earned. We are selective but once chosen, you’re in.Why You Should Become a Citizen of Pluto TV
As stated, becoming a Citizen is hard work but the rewards of citizenship are plentiful. Work with the smartest people on some of the most complex projects of your life, while profoundly impacting both Pluto TV and the broader world of entertainment. Share in the epic quest to define the future of television as we know it. Big commitment, big impact, lasting change.
As a Citizen, you will enjoy generously-sponsored medical benefits, a generous vacation policy, 401K retirement plan, social and team events, and more!
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
At PlutoTV and Viacom, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.