BUSINESS SYSTEMS SENIOR ANALYST
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
A business systems analyst is an information technology (IT) professional who specializes in analyzing, designing and implementing information systems. Business systems analysts assess the suitability of information systems in terms of their intended outcomes and liaise with end users, software vendors and programmers in order to achieve these outcomes; skilled in understanding both qualitative and quantitative data from business operations and technical software development. They must be able to analyze and synthesize that data, including business processes, business rules and data research, and data analysis, to validate needs with business. The analyst must be able to identify, collect and translate this information into documented design solutions (specifications, use cases, user stories, UI, database and API data mapping) from which the applications and solutions will be developed. Although they may be familiar with a variety of programming languages, operating systems, and computer hardware platforms, they do not normally involve themselves in the actual hardware or software development.The senior business systems analyst is an advanced senior professional, with full understanding and in-depth knowledge of their discipline and wide ranging experience who uses various concepts and in-depth evaluation to address/resolve complex business and systems needs and issues in creative and effective ways. The senior business systems analyst uses analysis and design techniques to address business needs and problems using information technology, playing a crucial role working with business and technical stakeholders to analyze current processes and business rules around processes, identifying technical solutions for future processes that could increase corporate effectiveness and efficiencies. The senior business systems analyst may provide technical guidance to other team members.
Technology and Innovation Division
As a member of City National's Technology & Innovation group, you will drive, develop, and maintain solutions for clients and colleagues. This is an exciting time of technology advancement and innovation across the bank, particularly within our technology teams.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Elicits requirements via interviews, facilitated requirements workshops, document analysis, surveys, customer site visits, business process analysis, work flow and task analysis, ensuring the right questions are asked to produce essential requirements information to help align business needs with a technical solution.
- Performs "As Is" and "To Be" Business Process Mapping and Business Process Validation.
- Identifies process improvements and provides options and technical solutions for future process design/changes that increase corporate efficiencies while considering impact and integrity of the project.
- Participates in integration design approach for third party vendors products in collaboration with vendors, solutions architects, and business unit
- Breaks down business needs into Epics, Features and User Stories or deliverables to optimize business value of applications and processes.
- Prioritizes the User Story Backlog or Analyst Deliverables (with Business Users or Product Owner) and forecasts/schedules their time for developing the functional design specifications/User Stories (which would include UI, workflow, business rules, security and data mapping and if for a user story also the user story and acceptance criteria).
- Investigates, researches, analyzes, comprehends, and validates data and data integration needs from multiple sources such as User Screens, Reports, SQL, Oracle, APIs and files.
- Creates complex integration/data mapping Functional Specification documentation for vendor and/or internal development teams related to API/UI/Reports/Databases/files; documents include direct mapping, data transformation rules, data business rules and multiple data hops.
- Creates functional specifications and/or user story documentation including: Functional specifications include UI/screen shots, data-mapping, business rules, edits, error handling, system access matrices/user security, process flow diagram and use cases as needed, etc. from which programs will be developed and that fit with the Bank's system architecture standards.
- Works with technical teams to translate business processes and interpret business needs to them and clarify / update specifications provided to ensure proper translation/development during the Development cycles.
- Provides technical direction and support to project or Agile team members during development and testing of functional specification and user stories.
- Supports QA and UAT testing, clarify specifications and user stories and performs testing as needed.
- Works with Business Users, Development, QA and Support teams to troubleshoot and help identify root cause of reported problems during project and post implementation warranty period and document resolutions so that development can code solution.
- Provides support and guidance to other analysts.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent Or
- Minimum 6 years experience working in a business analysis function required And
- Minimum 5+ years experience working with Information technologies required And
- Minimum 3 years Microsoft Office software experience required
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to technical and non-technical audiences of various levels in the organization (e.g., executive, management, individual contributors)
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with the ability to navigate, facilitate, negotiate, and influence across stakeholders
- Knowledge of business analysis methodology and requirements tools.
- Skilled in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to business needs and problems.
- Thorough understanding of "business needs analysis" process and how system requirements relate to daily business operations.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve for a variety of business needs and problems.
- Skilled at writing SQL statements and very knowledgeable of SQL, Oracle, etc. databases in order to analyze or extract data to perform analysis, data validation, and establish data transformation rules.
- Must have ability to read through and understand intermediate level SQL code written by others.
- Works with complex data structures/models.
- Knowledgeable about APIs, familiar with API tools used to validate data and skilled at mapping to and between APIs, SQL, databases, screens, files, etc.
- Experienced with the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and software development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Scrum, Iterative, Waterfall, etc.)
- Knowledge of systems development and integration for new technologies.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with strong ability to work independently with the ability to multi-task; work on multiple projects..
- High initiative with strong desire to learn new concepts, processes and technologies
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio) and SharePoint.
- Able to work in a team environment on task driven work
- Able to work in a structured team environment on task and timeline driven work
- Ability to document existing and recommended flows using Visio (or like product) and ability to create use cases.
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies and procedures
Starting base salary: $92,114 - $156,880 per year. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location. This job is eligible for bonus and/or commissions.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Benefits and Perks
At City National, we strive to be the best at whatever we do, including the benefits and perks we offer our colleagues. Get an inside look at our Benefits and Perks.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies.