Stem enables artists to build their businesses. Our tools empower independent musicians and their teams to distribute music, collect royalties from streaming platforms, pay their collaborators, and take out advances on their future earnings.
Stem is looking for an analyst to join our team and own the day-to-day operations of Scale, our advances offering for independent musicians. This role will be at the forefront of music financing, shifting the paradigm of how artists access capital to grow by clearly showing how much they’re paying and enabling them to retain ownership of their intellectual property.
This person will initially work closely with our Director of Business Intelligence, learning the methodologies for valuing music and underwriting advances. They will then be expected to own the underwriting process independently, and improve it by implementing workflow optimization tools, automating, incorporating additional signals, and refining the model. If you’re the type of person who enjoys tackling nebulous challenges and isn’t afraid to run sensitive processes with minimal oversight, this role might be for you!
This role is fully remote.
What You’ll Do:
- Analyze musicians’ streaming data to estimate the value of their catalog and predict the cash flows of future releases
- Compile historical earnings data to validate performance projections and understand decay
- Underwrite artist advances to ensure Stem’s portfolio performance
- Monitor the performance of the portfolio and identify ways to refine the model
- Take ownership of the underwriting process and improve it as needed via tools or additional data sources
- Assist the client team in explaining Scale’s structure to artists and their teams
- Work with the engineering team to assist in productizing advance disbursement, repayment, and tracking
Our ideal candidate:
- Is highly disciplined – able to execute sensitive processes repeatedly without errors
- Has advanced Microsoft Excel skills, including VLOOKUPs, Pivot Tables, and statistical functions
- Has financial modeling skills and an understanding of concepts such as IRR and DCF
- Has excellent communication skills, including the ability to clearly and professionally present Scale advances to artist teams while building trust and rapport
- Have basic SQL proficiency
- Have experience with BI tools such as Periscope, Sisense for Cloud Data Teams, Looker, or Tableau
- Have basic statistics proficiency
- Have experience with Salesforce
**Stem is an equal opportunity employer, and more than that, actively strives to build and nurture a diverse, inclusive, and equitable team. We celebrate differences and screen for shared values rather than culture fit. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.**