Copywriter at Who Gives a Crap
Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world?
A bit about us:
Who Gives a Crap sells beautiful, forest friendly toilet paper, paper towels and tissues and we donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for those in need. As much as we love toilet paper, the reason we’re in business is the impact we’re having on the world—to date we’ve donated $1,800,000 to our charity partners to fund sanitation projects in developing countries, and with your help we’re hoping to grow our impact 10-fold in the next couple of years.
We're one of the fastest-growing e-commerce businesses in Australia and are now aggressively entering the North American and European markets, with insanely ambitious growth targets for this year and beyond. We currently have a team of over 60 people working out of Melbourne, Manilla, Los Angeles, and Hong Kong. We’re never happy with the status quo, though, so we’re planning to double or triple our team in the next year, and we won’t stop growing until everyone in the world has access to a toilet.
A bit about the role:
We’re a busy Creative Team made up of a Creative Director, Copy Lead, Designers, Video Content Creator and Social Media Manager (with more team members popping up on the horizon as we type, woah). We spend our days cranking out kick-ass content for social media, paid adverts, marketing campaigns and more. We are looking for a Copywriter to join our team who is passionate about engaging content and, if we’re being real, toilet humor in order to help us make our big ideas come to life.
Reporting to our Copy Lead, you’ll drive our brand voice across internal and external-facing communications, whoop our grammar bums into shape, and be on the front lines writing killer copy that makes our customers laugh, like and share.
If you worked here this past month here are some things you might have been involved in:
- Worked with our Social Media Manager to create world-class, hardworking and delightful copy across all social platforms.
- Helped bring to life our content calendar for social: either through brainstorming ideas, helping make fun videos or sharing inspiration.
- Worked with our video content team to help concept and storyboard a campaign for FB ads.
- Wrote blog content that you and our global audience will be passionate about.
- Conducted research about the coolest toilets in the world.
- Joined team brainstorms about how to create campaigns to make our customers feel like special little butterflies.
- Written this job post (well, not this one, but you know what we mean), and helping People & Culture team delight our candidates, too!
- Iterated on old emails to turn them into something new and unexpected with the help of our Copy Lead
- Worked closely with our designers to make your copy and their design work harmoniously as a customer experience
- Teamed up with the Growth and Digital Product teams to create a/b test copy that help us understand our customers even more and what they need to be told at different parts of the purchasing experience
- Looked for typos (well duh, you do that in your sleep anyway) and won prizes for every dumb mistake you find.
- Used toilet paper and cardboard boxes to create costumes that would impress Bob Fosse.
Let's talk about you
- You’re timelessly trendy: You know how to write hard-working copy that converts, delights and engages. You’ve had some experience writing everything from web copy, to emails, to blog posts. You’re passionate about them all, but you have a soft spot for high-performing social media. You follow the trends and have a knack and knowing which ones will stick.
- Our tone of voice is your tone of voice: A good writer will adopt the style of the brand at hand, you know the drill. But, if you’ve read our copy, you’ll know that this job will be a whole lot more enjoyable if you find yourself naturally writing with a witty, fun and friendly style. Extra points if you’ve got the unique skill of crafting jokes in which no one is the butt of the joke. LOL BUTT.
- You know how to throw a (metaphorical) party Yes, you’re a writer, but you’re not just focused on the words. You’re constantly thinking about fun ways to bring delight to our customers, you can think of high-end, campaignable ideas, as well as smaller scale, easier-to-deliver ones. We have big goals as a team to bring ridiculously delightful ideas that make us famous (and therefore increase our yearly donation amount to get more toilets to more people), and you’re good, no great, at presenting these big ideas. Ahem, do we have any Google Slides gurus out there?
- Details schmetails: Well, not really. We’re on the hunt for someone super detail-oriented and organized. This should probably go without saying, but we’ll say it anyway. You know the difference between its and it’s / their and there. You even know the difference between less and fewer. You don’t use idioms that you don’t completely understand (phew). You’ve corrected your friend’s grammar on a number of occasions because you just can’t help yourself. You accidentally copy-edit every billboard you see. You know how to manage your time without being constantly chased and you’re a stickler about meeting deadlines.
- You wear other people’s shoes: Not in a thieving kind of way, but in the way that you’re really good at seeing other people’s perspectives. You can imagine yourself as our customer and decide which copy would be more effective in each stage of their journey. You know the right questions to ask to make sure your copy is crystal clear.
- Friendly humanoid: We always come together as a team to brainstorm and collaborate first before breaking away to nut out the finer details. Then, we come back together to get feedback from the team as well as invite other key people in the business to get their thoughts. You’re totally up for taking people along for a journey, in fact, you love it. People! They’re the best.
- You give a crap: Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Why you should work with us
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger an impact we’ll have. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s a pretty great perk, but we don’t stop there…
If you have a great idea, we’ll do everything we can to make it happen. This is the kind of role that will be hard to find anywhere else: you’ll work with an incredible bunch of passionate people to grow a fast-paced startup at a crucial point in its trajectory.
The job is also amazingly flexible, something we’re working hard to hold onto even as we grow super quickly. We started the business remotely, and now have hubs in 4 cities around the world. While the team spends a few days of the week together in our coworking space, you can also mix it up and work in your PJs from home or set up shop at the beach, up to you! And while we don’t have a Friday drinks cart (yet), you will get free toilet paper. A lot of it. And nothing beats that.
Lastly, you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
This depends on your experience but just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in. In other words, we pay competitively and are determined to make this the best job you'll ever have – you won’t ever want to leave!
On top of the normal perks like annual leave, we also provide flexibility to take extra unpaid leave or travel while working, we provide a health insurance stipend, generous parental leave, training and development budget and a whole lot of other stuff. And did we mention the free toilet paper?