Hello, We’re Built In
Built In is on a mission to unite technology professionals with their purpose. We do that through the power of content. Today, over one million registered users and 4.5 million technology professionals use our platform every year to learn about innovative companies, new technologies and further their careers.
The caliber of audience we’ve cultivated means that over 1800 companies--from the hottest tech startups to Fortune 500 companies undergoing digital transformation-- trust us to share their employer brand story and fill the technology roles that drive their strategy.
Because we can help employers find hard to recruit talent, our B2B side is thriving. In addition our users are finding great jobs and advancing their careers and knowledge of the tech world with Built In. That means we are rapidly growing our product and technology footprint as we are committed to building the leading SaaS product for employer branding and talent activation.
With venture funding of $30M to date with a $22M Series C raise in 2019, we are poised to disrupt recruiting for hard-to-fill roles and help technologists find their dream jobs--in their city, around the country or completely remote. If you are looking for an award-winning culture, have a desire to help people find their calling and want to be part of building best-in-class technology, Built In might fulfill your purpose.
We're Looking for an Associate Editor for Our Expert Contributor Team (Chicago or Remote)
The primary goal of Built In’s editorial team is to attract and retain readers to our local market sites and to BuiltIn.com by creating materials that instruct, inform and inspire. Candidate quality is Built In’s core differentiator over our competitors in the talent space, and the editorial team’s work strengthens our reach and reputation among both aspiring and existing technology professionals in the markets we serve. By publishing articles — features, news, explainers, and professional development content — relevant to their passions and professions, the editorial team ensures that Built In is a regular destination for this core audience, and the first they go to when pursuing new opportunities.
Reporting to the senior editor of the expert contributor team, you will license and republish expert stories, commentary, and excerpts from personal blogs and major book publishers. This person will also cultivate publishing partnerships, including those with other tech sites and companies. The stories they license will fit into the existing expert contributor network, where we commission original, solutions-oriented columns from the most talented executives, software engineers, data scientists, UX designers, and product managers in the tech industry. This person will have a strong eye for great technical storytelling, an ability to articulate the value of our program to high-profile external stakeholders, and extreme attention to detail (both editorial and administrative). They will also be comfortable and excited to use a data-informed approach to editorial acquisitions.
What You Will Do
- Find, license, and republish stories from contributors that are in the trenches of engineering, data science, product and marketing teams at tech companies, both large and small.
- Copy edit and produce the posts, crafting reader-friendly headlines and social copy.
- Work with publicists and subsidiary rights departments at major publishing houses to secure book excerpts from high-profile experts.
- Develop relationships with communications teams at large tech companies and/or tech publications to develop publishing partnerships.
- Provide substantive cuts, comments, and line editing on licensed pieces that contain practical and useful insight into what effective tech teams are doing.
- Contribute in a thoughtful and creative way to the development of an expanding editorial product.
- Work with our SEO team to develop targeted licensing lists.
- Respond to audience analytics and other editorial needs and adjust acquisition strategies accordingly.
What You Need
- A strong passion for technology, startups and entrepreneurship.
- Three-plus years in a journalistic capacity.
- One-plus year of experience as an editor.
- Strong substantive, line and copy editing skills.
- Extreme attention to detail (editorial and administrative).
- Strong ability to persuade.
- Familiarity with basic concepts in business and technology.
Remote Work Notice
Our HQ is in Chicago, but we are open to remote candidates for this position.
Due to the effects of COVID-19, Built In has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our entire business remotely until further notice. We are continuing to hire for all open roles, and will be interviewing and onboarding virtually. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
That said, we’re still offering our full perks and benefits package, including: health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k, equity opportunities, discretionary PTO, food and tech stipend while remote, virtual culture activities, flexible working hours, and more.What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always.
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every point on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Womxn United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a female CEO and founder.