Lead Product Manager, Country
We’re looking for a Product Manager who is interested in solving one of the world's largest problems, financial inclusion, for one of our new markets. Our team is doing cutting edge work in data science and machine learning, using unique data to give people in emerging markets access to credit — something they’ve never had before. This role will be a major contributor to realizing the vision of unlocking financial access, choice, and control for underserved people globally.
The Lead Product Manager will lead product for a new market while interfacing with the entire product team. This role will also ship products for internal customers to improve Tala’s understanding of users, operational efficiencies, and ability to scale for growth.
- Lead product in country squad to align current roadmap with company objectives and execute thereon
- Collaborate closely with CTO and Product team to design and contribute to Product process, roadmap, and business KPIs
- Act as central hub across various functions: Engineering, Credit, Data, Research, Growth
- Manage key Product team members in their work and career development
- Be a multiplier for others in expertise and effectiveness, from individual contributors to managers
- Collaborate with Program Management to ensure consistent practices and reporting company wide: predictability and transparency in output
- Build trusting relationships between Product and other functions and country squads
- 5+ years Product experience in one or more following fields: Consumer mobile, credit, emerging markets, payments
- Intellectual rigor and curiosity, ability to process and synthesize data
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with a history of hands-on, detail orientation
- Effective communicator; courage to challenge with candor
- Strong cross-functional leadership and relationship building ability
- Checked ego, humility, empathy, true collaborator, service oriented attitude of “Customer First”
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Engineering, or similar field
- Strategic, entrepreneurial thinking aligned to Tala’s mission and startup stage
- Technical background in one of the following: computer science, engineering, data, math, physics
- Organizational skills to plan, coordinate, prioritize, with startup flexibility
- Business savvy to understand and contribute to metrics underlying financial products
- Strong manager and coach
- Agile proficiency
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities.Unlike traditional credit scoring, Tala's proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by Forbes, the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others. Tala is headquartered in Los Angeles with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.