Director of Product, Clean
As Director of Product you will drive the vision for the Clean Product Line “A world in which every home is powered by clean energy.” You’ll report to the Vice President of Product and build/lead a team of PMs, and will work closely with the other Directors, product managers, commercial strategists, design leaders, and product marketers for our other product lines. You’ll be part of a close-knit team who is transforming our most successful product to date as it strengthens and deepens its relationship with our Members.
To be successful in this role, you should have demonstrated success as a product leader by delivering excellence in consumer facing products, especially products that you’ve taken from ideation through to scale. You’ll have no problem articulating the unique value you brought to the companies you’ve led at, the products you developed, the product development processes you’ve implemented and iterated on, and the teams that you’ve developed as their leader. You should have a “we first” mentality, have a desire to change the world, you should be humble, passionate, endlessly curious, and have a history of building followership.
If that’s you. We’re excited to chat.
THE DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT, CLEAN HAS NINE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner directly with the VP of Product to define the vision for the Clean product line and drive end-to-end execution with other Product Managers and cross-functional teams
- Direct accountability for the success of the Clean product line including co-ownership of the P&L with your Commercial Strategy counterpart
- Must be a visionary servant leader and coach that unites multiple skill sets, points of view, and creates align teams that move with speed
- Incredible ability to understand, own, and deploy products in complicated and nuanced markets including identifying new/optimized monetization strategies by market and channel
- Ownership and accountability the Clean product line roadmaps
- Must be a master at identifying customer pain points – converting them into opportunities – testing and refining the solutions - then executing the build, delivery, and iterations at an extremely high level
- Must be the type who will get their hands dirty as often as it takes to make sure your product is successful
- Provide operational direction to the cross-functional teams like marketing, engineering, customer support, finance, etc. on a day-to-day basis
- Contribute influentially and creatively to the broader product teams development, participate in team’s innovation, and support concept development efforts to drive the next generation of innovation
SOME EXPECTED 2019 DELIVERABLES
- You’ll be both maintaining and improving the Clean product as it stands today while simultaneously partnering with the VP of Product to reimagine the product experience from the ground up.
- You’ll go deep on research to understand the core jobs to be done for the customer segments that this product line supports.
- You’ll work to establish a team of talented product leaders while also rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty in execution.
- You’ll establish an extensive understanding of the energy ecosystem in both regulated and deregulated environments and how we seek to fundamentally change the landscape.
- You’ll be held accountable for the success of your product line, team, and co-manage the P&L with your commercial strategy counterpart.
- You’ll deliver an MVP of the reimagined experience before the end of the year.
- You’ll have a ton of fun along the way.
- MVP reimagined experience delivered through a pilot go-to-market strategy by the end of 2019
- Core KPIs (Growth, Engagement, Happiness/NPS, and Retention) will continue to improve MoM
- Anyone in the company will be able to retort your products vision, mission, and master plan back if asked at the water cooler
- Your team will sing your praises and you’ll earn 100’s of high fives
- Customer & Design Obsessed - You always puts the customer and their experience at the center of all of your decisions
- Team builder - You’re a talent magnet that people follow with a track record of developing others
- Collaborative - You’re a team player who loves working cross functionally with other super talented individuals
- Strategic & Process Driven - You value the balance between strategy and high functioning day to day processes
- Mission Driven - You’re the type that wakes up every day seeking to make the world a better place for others
- Value Creator - You intuitively focus on creating new/additional value as opposed to protecting value that has already been created
- Endlessly Curious - You constantly seek to learn new things, improve existing gaps, and take on new challenges
- Intrinsically Motivated - The fire burns within you and you’re naturally satisfied by the challenges that you take on
- Grit - You’ll do whatever it takes to drive the outcomes that you seek
- Must Have
- You’ve created consumer facing products from ideation through to scale as opposed to maintained or scaled an existing product
- You’ve built strong teams through years of practice to become a great leader
- You consider yourself technical, analytical, and you thrive through cross-functional collaboration experiences
- You’re a strong strategic thinker with excellent communication skills
- Nice to Have
- CS Degree or MBA
- 5+ Years in a Product Leadership position
- Retail Energy Experience (bigger brownie points for renewables experience)
- Familiar with utility regulatory framework
- Experienced with Face-to-Face Channels (D2D & retail channel)
- Demonstrated experience developing strategies to overcome specific market barriers in the early stages of product life-cycle
- Strong experience in market strategy development, including an understanding of market assessment, short and long-range forecasting, risk-assessment and management strategy
Disrupting the one-size-fits-all utility model, Inspire’s groundbreaking smart home subscription seamlessly combines personalized clean energy plans with best-in-class smart devices. Using the Inspire app, members can self drive their smart homes from anywhere, and select automated settings to use less energy while earning rewards. Inspire strives to make every home a smart home, powered by clean energy. Inspire’s mission is to drive forward a brighter energy future by simplifying consumer adoption of clean energy and smart home technologies.
Through continual innovation and scaling of connected device interoperability; clean energy supply, generation and storage; and intelligent, decentralized grid services, Inspire is building the world’s first fully-integrated clean energy company.
Launched in January 2014, Inspire homes have used the clean power production equivalent of 121 wind turbines since inception. Driven by a team of mission-driven Avengers in Philadelphia and Santa Monica,, Inspire prides itself on a culture of ownership, teamwork and stalwart obsession with “crushing it!”
CULTURE & PERKS
- Inspire’s culture balances the serious nature and tone of a professional company with the move-fast-and-execute tone of a rapidly growing emerging tech company. We believe in working hard and producing, but doing it in a positive and friendly environment where collaboration is rampant. Inspire calls its employees Avengers. It’s a team out to even the score on behalf of the common man, to challenge the status quo and confront apathy and old-world bureaucracy.
- Every Avenger lives for the mission: To build the world’s most customer-focused clean power platform and inspire a connected moment towards a brighter energy future. Avengers are scrappy, restless, humble and committed to balancing passion with purpose and profit.
- Inspire offers competitive compensation and equity packages, plus benefits such as health, vision, life, and dental insurance - Not to mention, unlimited vacation, 401(k) plan, and LOTS of cupcakes!