RF Architect, Wi-Fi
RF Architect, Wi-Fi.
The RF Architect will work with a global team and be responsible for Wi-Fi design, RF analysis, and optimization of Boingo Wi-Fi Networks. They will provide technical expertise supporting existing Wi-Fi networks as well as planning new networks and assisting in pre-sales design efforts. The RF Architect will also support day-to-day operations of the RF environment of many Boingo Wi-Fi networks, consisting of Airports, Military Bases, Stadiums and other public facing locations in support of our customer needs, ensuring a network availability of 99.99%. The position will require excellent communications skills working with cross functional teams across all Boingo Departments, as well as direct interaction with customers remotely and onsite.
Specialization in Wi-Fi design, Wireless troubleshooting, and WLAN infrastructures is required. This role will require knowledge of wireless networking best practices, knowledge of Cisco, Ruckus and Aruba wireless controllers, APs, core networking, and a thorough understanding of enterprise scale Wi-Fi networks.
- Design, engineer and support complex, enterprise scale, commercial Wi-Fi networks.
- Generate predictive RF Models using software-based modeling tools.
- Conduct site surveys as needed using software-based survey tools and spectrum analysis tools.
- Communicate installation best practices, written and verbal, to onsite teams ensuring proper equipment installation procedures are followed for APs and Point to Point Wireless links.
- Provide operational support, configuration and implementation of change request services.
- Analyze, optimize and troubleshoot wireless point-to-point links, as well as high density Wi-Fi environments.
- Design and deploy key WLAN applications including Secure Mobility, Voice over WLAN, Passpoint, and Wireless Guest Access.
- Configuration and optimization of Cisco, Ruckus and Aruba Wireless Lan Controllers.
- WLAN network RF frequency and channel planning for a variety of venue types.
- Evaluation of WLAN systems, including access points, controllers, antennas and various other components and equipment.
- Outstanding troubleshooting and problem-solving skills are a must.
- Must possess the ability to work well on a team as well as be able to work independently.
- Exhibit the ability and proven skill set to manage, coordinate and prioritize tasks to ensure quality work delivered in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain documentation related to the design, administration, and maintenance of network infrastructure.
- Link budget and PTP link planning for complex networks.
- Perform analysis and diagnosis of complex wireless networking issues.
- Provide SME support assisting with designs and technical solutions for RFP responses and proposals.
- Host and\or actively participate in meetings with key stakeholders regarding the roadmap planning, design and expansion of Boingo networks.
- Draft thorough technical responses to support proposed design recommendations.
- Draft technical standards and best practices documents to add to the Boingo repository.
- Degree in CS or ECE or equivalent experience.
- CWNP, CCNP wireless or equivalent industry experience required.
- At least 10 years’ experience with design and implementation of large scale Service Provider and campus networks, including enterprise level WLAN solutions.
- Extensive RF Design, RF Survey/Engineering and RF troubleshooting skills.
- Fluent in the use of RF coverage planning and analysis, optimization of air interface and radio access, interference and coexistence analysis, site surveys and RF performance optimization.
- Thorough knowledge of current and emerging Wi-Fi and wireless transport technologies.
- Thorough understanding of WLAN security, implementation, architecture and network management.
- Familiarity with Antenna theory, various antenna technologies, and RF propagation.
- Hands on experience installing and implementing enterprise scale wired and wireless networks.
- Experience designing and deploying high capacity Wi-Fi networks.
- Experience with iBwave, Ekahau ESS Pro and spectrum analysis software required.
- TCP/IP Network Architecture and Design skills required.
- Cisco router, switch and WLAN core skills preferred.
- Experience with Cisco, Ruckus, Aruba and Extreme WLAN equipment.
- Expert level Inter-networking troubleshooting in a large-scale network environment.
- In-depth knowledge of, and experience with, IP networking, network management, network availability, QOS & capacity planning.
- Mobile cellular communications systems technologies, principles and planning experience a plus.
- CBRS and Small Cell technologies experience desired.
- TCP/IP stack routing protocols experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be customer-oriented; willing to engage in discussions with customers, with aim of a quick resolution and customer satisfaction
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office & Visio Suite.
Boingo Wireless, Inc. (NASDAQ: WIFI) helps the world stay connected. Our vast footprint of Wi-Fi and cellular networks covers more than a million locations and reaches over a billion consumers annually – in places as varied as airports, stadiums, military bases, and multifamily communities. The Boingo platform drives revenue through various products, including Wi-Fi, DAS (cellular), Media, Wholesale, and more. We’re an enthusiastic team, dedicated to growing our business by building amazing, valuable products.
Boingo boasts a super-fun, collaborative work environment, with an annual pool tournament, Halloween costume contest, summer picnic, bowling nights, and more. There’s a kitchen stocked with yummy snacks and drinks, and a well-appointed new mother’s lounge. We offer an incredible benefits package, including unlimited vacation, parental leave, health, dental, vision, 401(k) match, equity, and more. And, our award-winning headquarters, located in Westwood, CA, has 360-degree views of LA, from Catalina to the Hollywood Sign. It’s no wonder we’ve been named among the Best Places to Work in LA four years in a row, and counting!
Boingo is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.