Head of Information Technology
Humans waste an unthinkable amount of food. In fact, nearly half of all of the food we grow in the U.S. never reaches a plate. It's not just the food that we're wasting—we’re throwing away all of the natural resources that went into growing it, too. At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to derive sustainable solutions to our global food challenges so we can all eat better and waste less. We're pioneering plant-derived technologies to help fresh food providers improve food quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet. We are committed to being a technological and environmental trailblazer at the intersection of the agricultural, materials science, chemistry, biotechnology, and engineering industries, and we’re looking for brilliant, passionate problem-solvers to join us.
Apeel is comprised of highly talented, deeply passionate, and strongly tight-knit team members who are excited by the opportunity to challenge the status quo, are obsessed with solving problems, and truly seek to positively change how we feed the world.
Our people are core and absolutely fundamental to our company’s success and continued growth. Look around and what do you see? Team members who are working tirelessly and selflessly—not to serve themselves—but to help the team as a whole strategically, aggressively, and collectively realize a shared mission and vision. If you are ready for an opportunity to jump in, tackle challenges (and opportunities!) head-on, take ownership, and drive meaningful outcomes in a highly collaborative, communicative, and dynamic environment, we would love to connect with you!
We are seeking an experienced, motivated, hands-on Head of Information Technology (IT) to lead, manage, and drive corporate objectives through use of information technology.
The Head of IT will be responsible for designing, developing, and deploying a comprehensive, customer-centric, global IT strategy that enables Apeel’s business goals and objectives. This position will play a key role in identifying and developing emerging technologies that will improve company-wide efficiencies and support our rapidly evolving infrastructure. The ideal candidate will possess a strong, proven sense of ownership, deep knowledge of a variety of technologies, and broad problem-solving experience on a global platform within a high-growth technology environment. They will have the ability to see where Apeel is headed to define opportunities and drive recommendations to create continuous impact through our IT ecosystem.
What You’ll Do
- Network Infrastructure: Ensure reliable, high performance, secure, platform-focused IT infrastructure for a global, distributed workforce. Manage maintenance, upgrade and replacement cycles for all systems.
- Performance Metrics: Provide systems to quickly and accurately monitor, track, and measure performance for each functional area of the business.
- Process Efficiency: Identify, recommend, implement and support new scale-focused technology solutions.
- Risk Management: Identify and eliminate vulnerabilities related to information technology; including procedures for data integrity, data security and disaster recovery. Remove platform risk and ensure excellence in IT operations. Take a lead role in IT related compliance policies and procedures. Ensure a strong security posture by delivering a comprehensive security strategy.
What You Bring
- Global, High-Growth Environment: 10+ years of experience building IT infrastructure and leading IT teams in a hyper-growth global environment.
- Technology Research: Proven experience continuously researching new information technology, and its deployment in high performance organizations.
- Leadership and Communication: Ability to assess, build, and lead teams. Able to effectively communicate with all levels of staff and management. Strong communication skills including ability to work in a team environment and provide honest and direct feedback. Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills, technical and non-technical, are a must. Ability to translate technical needs and challenges to a nontechnical audience.
- Resource Management: Ability to effectively manage projects, including budgets, development, and implementation. Meets deadlines, prioritizes appropriately, copes well with change, and maintains composure under pressure. Strong project management skills; ability to reprioritize projects frequently.
- Vendor and Contractor Management: Ability to work with and manage vendors/contractors while ensuring vendor performance and deliverables
- Systems Implementation: Directs the selection, implementation, integration and support of information systems. Ability to manage change in the organization while implementing new systems or modifying existing systems.
- Cybersecurity: Knowledge of industry best practices (NIST, ISO)
- Other Critical Skills: Detail oriented and organized; ability to multitask. Strong customer-centric skills. Independent, self-motivated, team player.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience as a senior leader in technology, building and leading a successful IT team with a customer-centric approach
- Strong business and technical accumen
- Experience managing leaders, individual contributors and complex projects
- Experience administering production systems and networks
- Experience driving the ongoing management of SaaS platforms (Google, Okta, Box, Asana, Slack, Salesforce, etc.)
- Experience running test or production workloads on common cloud providers (AWS, etc.)
- Experience implementing and enforcing a security framework
- Communicates effectively, both technically and non-technically, as well as in written and oral forms. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.