Vice President of Communications
Tinder brings people together. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2 billion swipes per day, 20 million matches per day and a presence in every country on earth, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We are looking for a Vice President of Communications with a proven talent for building a stellar communications team for Tinder. You will oversee consumer and corporate comms strategy for Tinder, including Media Relations, product & campaign marketing launches, corporate thought leadership and visibility. This is a global role with management oversight across key Tinder markets worldwide. This is a high impact role that will report directly to our CMO.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Lead the global strategy for consumer and corporate comms for the Tinder Brand, including campaign & product launches and proactive thought leadership.
- Lead the strategy for identifying and cultivating key consumer media relationships in order to proactively shape a positive Tinder brand narrative.
- Lead the development and execution of Tinder executive platforms and agendas to maximize Tinder’s leadership position within culture (macro) and within the dating category.
- Actively shape creative ideas and executions within the larger Tinder marketing team, with an eye towards increasing the PR impact and pick up.
- Lead the corporate and crisis comms strategy and execution for Tinder. Develop clear communication and relationships with Match Group Investor Relations, Government Relations and PR leaders to align on Tinder’s press communications in these areas.
- Serve as a strategic partner and adviser to Tinder’s executive team.
- Define the internal processes and structure for Tinder Comms team, to create a best-in-class, high impact organization.
- Define and structure the external agency approach for Tinder in key markets, to maximize impact, quality and efficiency
- Oversee the implementation of the global PR offense, helping regions to select PR agencies, set up good processes and communication lines between HQ and the countries.
- Serve as a role model for professionalism, high standards and leadership across the entire Tinder Marketing team and larger Tinder organization
- Build and shape a best-in-class Tinder communications team, both in the US and globally.
- Actively mentor direct reports by giving them clear roles & responsibilities, sharing learnings and observations, providing training as needed and opportunities to learn, develop and shine.
What we’re looking for:
- Tinder seeks a world-class, strategy focused Comms leader. S/he will demonstrate hands-on experience creating and stewarding emotional / lifestyle digital & mobile forward brands that exhibit differentiation in a crowded and competitive industry. S/he will have proven media relationships and deep experience in building and shaping the world’s best brands via smart consumer & corporate comms.
- The VP of Tinder Comms will show affinity for product partnership and collaboration. Product and brand experience continue to evolve real time and the VP of Comms will demonstrate an ability to work closely with technology and product teams to harness the brand in new mediums and manifestations.
- The VP of Comms will be a strong leader of people and teams who is agile, collaborative, a team player with a sense of humor, passionate about brands and innovative marketing, a compassionate and honest communicator who builds strong interpersonal connections, is performance oriented and 100% responsible, personally accountable and plays to win.
- The VP of Comms will exhibit scrappiness – the ability to accompany strategic instincts with a ‘sleeves rolled up’ clear sense of purpose, execution and delivery – and fit with Tinder’s high energy, transparent and candid culture.
- The VP of Comms will be articulate, presentable, possess egoless leadership and be in tune with the soul of the brand.
- 15+ years’ progressive experience in Communications / Public Relations.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole.
- Experience in operating at a global scale; setting up team structures and processes to create maximum impact, communication clarity and impact.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
Executing for Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence
- Has expansive and productive relationships with key media sources and outlets
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry’s most exciting problems
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) match, and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Daily catered lunches, an endless supply of refreshments, fitness classes, and social events
- Modern, uplifting work environment in an ideal location