US Brand Communications Manager at Tinder
| Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:06 a.m. (PST) on Saturday, January 30, 2021
Tinder is looking for a dynamic communications whiz with a solid background in storytelling (brand communications, consumer PR, influencer marketing & social media backgrounds are invited to apply) and impeccable skill set in driving media and social “moments”. In addition, a deep understanding of the cultural nuances among youth culture is important. The candidate will be a member of a seasoned group of professionals helping to shape and tell the story of Tinder as a company, product and brand. They will report to the Director of Consumer Communications in the Los Angeles HQ office. The role requires strong bias to action, fast-twitch thinking, masterful reactive skills and creative in-the-moment thinking. This is a US based role with some global work - you will be our orchestrator of global consumer PR campaigns like Year in Swipe and Passport for all but the majority of work is in the US market. This role is based in Los Angeles and is non-negotiable for remote-work once we return to the office in mid-2021.
In this role you will:
- Be obsessed with newsjacking and you’ve got a proven track record of being good at it. You see the moment, you react fast and you’ve got media on text-based relationships waiting for the next story idea from you.
- Be the US hub for short-term and fast-paced proactive storytelling - you are the driver of the moment or “story” from concept to execution including content, press materials & messaging, assets, workbacks (if needed) and strategic media strategy guidance. You’re excited to pitch it to all of your friendlies.
- Be the team master of trend-spotting. You’ll manage our US workstream of identifying what is happening on Tinder and how we convey that to gen-z driven media in all parts of the world.
- You’re also responsible for identifying what is happening in the US and finding a way to insert Tinder. Michelle Obama says you can’t Tinder your way into a relationship? Find the 3 best pandemic “NY Times Wedding” Tinder marriages and get them a spot on GMA to prove otherwise.
- Become the brand relations liaison to stakeholders outside of the company: when a celebrity is going through a break up, their publicist knows to call you.
- Master the pioneering of working with social media editors and journalists that have clout online; Tinder’s personal relationship with these individuals is just as important as a relationship with a traditional media outlet.
- Be the team’s marquee data storyteller. You’ll be working closely with our data analytics team to understand what behavioral and engagement data drives a compelling story that both press and Gen Z consumers care about.
- Develop and run relevant and short-term moments that drive a news and social media cycle around Tinder. You are our major unlock to securing “rolling thunder” every week.
- You have a rare ability to take what may be seen as a “comms idea” and work in partnership with business development, influencer marketers, integrated marketers, social media strategists and insight analysts to build a 360 campaign that can come together with speed.
- You are visually creative and understand what it means to create assets that also work as an angle and strategy. You get that creating things that are visually compelling and can tell the same story that words do.
Most of this applies to you
- You have at least 5-8 years of experience in consumer communications or social in lifestyle, tech or entertainment sector (agency experience is a plus - we care more about your experience vs. the number of years under your belt)
- Twitter is open all day on one of your tabs in your browser.
- You have a passion for all things internet culture & Gen Z (you know the latest TikTok challenges and YouTubers)
- You understand data can be powerful in consumer storytelling but understand that a winning idea has science (data) and gut (your intuition)
- You are a phenomenal storyteller and understand what makes something interesting for media that write for a young and broad audience
- You move with influence but you’re also willing to get into the weeds and be humble about it, meaning you flourish in a 'hands-on' role, adding value at different levels
- You have a strong bias-to-action, are adept and agile on changing course and used to getting things done on short timeframes
- You’re a strategic thinker, nimble and creative problem solver, an inspiring leader, a team player, and an excellent writer/communicator
- You “get” social and what makes a story travel and what also makes a journalist want to connect you with their social editor because it’s perfect for their channels.
- You are confident and creative in writing.
- You are an independent thinker, clearly have a point of view and are willing to hear others out when they disagree.
- You have a keen ability to think innovatively and connect the dots where others cannot.
- You share the point of view that one great person on the team is more valuable than 3 to 5 OK people---and want to be that great person
- You are pragmatic, organized and detailed. You ultimately have a solid capacity to both think and 'do'
- You would consider yourself a smart minimalist. You know how to keep things simple. You know that communications can be made complex---and will resist and prevent that. You do not need or desire big budgets for big results.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
• Working on a product that has an immediate impact on people’s lives all around the world
• Collaborating with a team of creative, fun and driven colleagues
• Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) employer match
• Other perks and wellness benefits like a fitness membership subsidy, paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance offerings, and a commuter subsidy
• Access to mental health resources
• Fertility preservation benefits
• No Meeting Wednesdays, an annual Learning + Development stipend, and access to a wide range of product and service discounts through Perkspot
• Charitable donations match up to $15,000 annually
• Monthly and weekly interactive virtual events including Book Club, trivia with prizes and yoga workouts
• The opportunity to join six active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our product, and our community. We strive to make our workplace an inclusive and diverse environment, giving people from all walks of life the opportunity to have a voice. We champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity to join our team dedicated to bringing people together across the globe. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, or other lived experience.