Sr Manager, Retention Marketing
The Senior Manager, Retention Marketing is responsible for reducing churn and driving ARPU among digital subscribers to Tribune Interactive’s news brands such as the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, The Baltimore Sun and more. Key activities include leading marketing campaigns and initiatives that drive subscriber engagement and retention, increasing digital activation among print subscribers, digital subscriber revenue management and driving actionable insights from well considered data analysis.
*** This role will be located in our Brentwood office
- Compose and execute a robust, effective retention marketing slate and evolve the company’s digital subscriber communications.
- Manage key vendor relationships related to the retention marketing function.
- Drive subscriber retention through improved billing practices, devising retention approaches for at-risk subscriber segments and optimizing call center customer service communications.
- Improve customer on-boarding and increasing subscribers’ engagement with our news brands and content.
- Work closely with data science and analytics colleagues to leverage predictive churn risk data insights into retention marketing campaigns and approaches.
- Foster greater digital activation and engagement among tronc’s print subscriber base.
- Track customer lifecycle by cohorts such as intro offer other attributes and maintain ongoing monitoring of subscriber behavior.
- Track and improve retention KPIs including: 12-month retention rate, % save rate, preventable vs. unpreventable stops
- Manage price increase strategy and roll out plans to mitigate attrition both through initial subscriber communication and in the call center.
- Arm Customer Service team with the most effective scripting and save/winback offers possible. Test different offers to ensure we are maximizing positive response while minimizing revenue loss and capture and interpret cancelling customer feedback.
- Work with Customer Service on training programs that both prepare new representatives to save cancellers and sharpen the skills of existing reps; monitor rep performance to ensure they are leveraging all tools available to maximally save subscribers. Course correct as needed. Develop and distribute performance reports to all stakeholders.
- Carefully review churn attributed to credit card processing issues and work with internal cross-functional teams to reduce the incidence of rejection and ensure the accuracy of our customers’ credit card information.
- BA/BS in marketing, communications, journalism or related field
- MBA preferable
- 10+ years in digital marketing space
- 5+ years in retention marketing, membership program marketing, or customer loyalty/brand advocacy roles
- 3+ years experience in managing marketing teams/staff
- Highly proficient in web/digital analytics (Google Analytics, Omniture/Site Catalyst, etc)
- Sound knowledge in key digital marketing channels and spaces such as email, social media, and mobile
- Experience in reporting and presenting to senior executives (C-suite level)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; project management experience a plus
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills; able to interpret and present data to provide insightful, tactical recommendations
- Experience in training and incentivizing sales or service reps for exceptional performance
- Experience with credit card processing and subscription/customer payment solutions.
- Significant problem-solving, communication and organizational skills