Senior Manager, Vinyl _ Catalog Marketing
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world's leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Universal Music Group is looking for a Sr. Manager, Vinyl/Catalog Marketing to be a part of the Caroline/Capitol Commercial Marketing Team located in Hollywood, CA. This role will oversee and direct all aspects of day-to-day product development & marketing while partnering with our labels/managers/artists to develop campaigns that strategize the best course to market for their Vinyl/Catalog release. This role will work in tandem with the various departments under the direction of the EVP, Caroline.
- Product Development: Identify new release and catalog opportunities across standard, deluxe, specialty, reissue releases on vinyl.
- Project Management: Act as the marketing lead for specific catalog and vinyl projects, and as an advisory role across our family of labels, both internally and externally within the Capitol/Caroline organization. This includes, but is not limited to, developing the overall marketing plan, budget and strategy for the campaign, and executing in partnership with various team members.
- Product Forecast/P&L/Budgeting: Project sales potential and monitor/advise on best product cost structures resulting in reasonable marketplace valuation at retail while providing maximum profitability margins with built in per-unit marketing funds.
- Product Production: Liaise with production teams on sourcing the most appropriate and cost-effective manufacturing.
- Marketing Strategy: Work with partners to create dynamic/engaging marketing campaigns that drive commercial results.
- Marketing Liaison: When not running a campaign, the Sr. Manager will be responsible for guiding our label partners on creating well thought out and creative plans.
- PR Outreach & Guidance: Help to suggest appropriate PR teams for our partners and act as the lead in liaising with them on the creation of a strong PR campaign that compliments the other marketing and sales activities.
- Digital Marketing Strategy: Work with the Caroline digital department to ensure that our partners are creating creative, innovative campaigns that engage fans utilizing pre-existing social platforms and new technologies.
- Community Relations: Understand, be immersed and have thorough knowledge of vinyl music sector with experience of events, networks, digital and social media platforms, and grassroots/street marketing.
- Catalog Management: Through a series of reporting, keep a watchful eye on the stock/status/sales velocity of Vinyl/Catalog. Suggest reactions for production, sales or event marketing accordingly.
- Label Meetings: Be available for all label meetings to act as a sounding board and strategist.
- Weekly Updates: Create weekly updates for the team highlighting growth areas and opportunities for Vinyl/Catalog releases. In addition, work with label partners to ensure they are consistently delivering concise updates across the category.
- Label/Artist Courting: Available during negotiations as it relates to marketing strategy and label relations. This role is representative of the category in pitch meetings.
- Data Driven Analytics: Query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations.
- Culture Driven Focus: Know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations.
- Caroline "branding"/visibility: Act as a "face" to Caroline, maintaining a presence at concerts and events.
- Advanced level artist relations and/or third-party distribution experience in a consumer-focused 4+ years' experience in music industry marketing
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Must have strong music industry relationships and vision to work with PR, Promo and online marketing teams
- Experience with cross-promotional marketing and branding
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful. Must be able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Existing relationships with labels and/or brands and existing contacts at digital platforms
- Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns, as well as pitching proposals for prospective clients (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you've worked on)
- College degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.