Senior Content Strategist, Editorial at Ranker
Ranker is looking for a data-driven, creative, and pop culture obsessed Senior Content Strategist to join the team and help build our overall content strategy. In particular, we are looking for a strategist with a good head for content across broad topics who has an eye for clear and engaging content, strong communication skills, and the desire to constantly adapt to changes in the way people consume content.
This is a Remote US role, though if you live in Southern California, all the better. We will not be taking any applicants who are not located in the US.
This position is a unique opportunity to help lead Ranker's efforts in an ever-evolving, critical space, and work with all departments of the company. The ideal candidate is highly strategic, resourceful, creative, analytical, entrepreneurial, and collaborative.
The right person for this role has solid digital media experience and is the kind of person who obsesses over details, thrives in a collaborative environment, and jumps at the opportunity to take on new challenges.
What you’ll do:
- Synthesize your creative brain and content experience with our data-focused team to interpret and execute on various content strategies
- Support the Publishing Operations team in key strategic initiatives, leading multiple focus/improvement initiatives simultaneously, and “growth hacking” new approaches.
- Help ensure these strategies are executed once proper buy-in and support has been secured
- Establish strong working relationships with the Product, Video, and Marketing team to become a strategic thought partner to all aspects of our businesses
- Coach and mentor junior members of the Publish Operations team as they hone their skill sets and build their careers
What you bring to the table:
- Data-driven, intent-minded and pop culture obsessive.
- 5+ years experience managing and/or steering editorial efforts and/or distribution efforts for digital media
- An innate understanding of fandom and fanbases and content fanbases are drawn to, including ones that you may have no personal interest in or deep knowledge of
- Experience and confidence in management and mentoring of younger team members; your own Rolodex of talent who you could bring to grow our efforts
- Adaptable to the rapidly changing ways people find content
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing, collaborative team environment
- Distribution focused - must be very strong in either social distribution or SEO, ideally a recent background in both arenas
- Understanding of what the marketplace (users and advertisers) cares about brand-wise from a digital publisher, and ability to direct editorial efforts accordingly
- Gut understanding of cost-benefit analysis and hit and miss ratio of content at a granular level
A big plus if you have:
- If you have experience and/or a brain that thinks about taxonomies
- Some experience in digital video
- Hands-on editorial experience (writing, copy editing)
- If you can think the way that a research survey editor thinks
- Experience in optimizing recirculation for content sites
- Experience in “affiliate monetized” content
Ranker attracts more than 30 million monthly unique visitors worldwide and is the leader in fan-powered rankings on just about everything. Whatever the topic - TV, movies, video games, sports, brands, food, lifestyle - Ranker puts the vote into the hands of millions rather than a few critics to answer the questions we are most passionate about. Over 1 billion votes now power Ranker Insights, a treasure trove of psychographic correlation data that delivers personalized consumer recommendations (“if you like X, you’ll also like Y, Z”), and also audience insights to marketers, studios, and platforms seeking a deeper understanding of consumer tastes and preferences. Launched in 2020 and powered by Ranker data, our new Watchworthy app is the only statistically relevant, crowd-sourced TV recommendation app available to consumers. Ranker made #187 on Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500 featuring the fastest growing companies in North America and Built In LA’s Top 50 Mid-Sized Companies To Work For in 2020. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Ranker has 110 employees and has grown steadily every year.