Manager, Artist Insights & Strategy at Universal Music Group
UMG's Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilizing sales, commercial / partner data, and social media analytics, the Global Insight team manages extensive consumer data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behaviors of today's music consumers.
Global Insight is a 15+ staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in LA and will primarily support UMG's US labels, reporting directly to the Artist Insight Director supporting the Artist Insight team.
The Artist Insight team leads strategic insights and research for Universal Music Group's esteemed record labels and business units. Our department supports marketing, commercial, and A&R label teams for a range of artists; from emerging acts to global superstars. You will get the chance to work with the world's top label groups including IGA, Republic Records, Island Records, and many others.
Main Purpose of the Role:
This role calls for an enthusiastic and pro-active team player and music enthusiast, who will be researching and tracking the audience of our artists, dissecting artist brands to uncover their unique DNA, exploring audience perceptions and engagement across key markets to derive actionable insights that are presented to teams across the business, directly influencing release campaigns, marketing strategies, and the media planning process.
The candidate will be heavily involved in projects from start to finish, offering analytical and consultative support. There will be a heavy focus on data analysis and artist brand exploration, however the ideal candidate will be able to think beyond the data, and layer insights with creative and strategic thinking in order to build exciting and meaningful narratives.
- Supporting Artist Insight Director on a day to day basis with:
- Project brainstorming / ideation / artist brand analysis.
- Being the 'go to' person for social analytics (primary tool used: Crimson Hexagon)
- Conducting analysis using multiple data sources (e.g. commercial / sales data, social media analytics, cultural trends, desk research).
- Developing reports and outputs for our clients – leveraging insights, creative & strategic thinking throughout development, building powerful narratives with multiple data sources.
- Manage external agency relationships – project management to guarantee the delivery of results to the agreed timelines
- Work closely with the whole Global Insight team, collaborate and work as part of one team
- Leverage insight projects across disciplines to deliver true value back to key stakeholders
- Research skills:
- Proven brand strategy / consultancy experience in the media entertainment / creative sphere.
- Brand positioning experience – ability to apply this to our artists in order to uncover their DNA, identify key differentiators / weaknesses, and to determine where they sit in the market.
- Strong experience with social media listening tools analysis (particularly, Crimson Hexagon), and social media content strategy.
- Insight / data analysis experience and report writing.
- Comfortable with large data sets.
- Well versed with creating themes and summarizing large open-ended survey responses
- Ability to bring data to life in an intelligent and compelling way (storytelling)
- Ability to provide recommendations based on analysis of multiple data sources
- Confident, highly numerate, pro-active, creative individual able to work in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, project management
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Solid presentation skills
- Strong advocate for data
- Passionate about the music industry - not just music, but the music business
- Naturally curious and inquisitive about consumer behavior
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Valued but not essential:
- Qualitative research experience
- Quantitative research experience (survey set-up and design)
- Basic video editing valued
- Keynote (visualization, design, presentation of reports) and Excel expertise is essential
- BA degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.