Director, Commercial Marketing at Universal Music Group
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world's leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Group is looking for a Director, Commercial Marketing to join our industry-leading Commercial Marketing team in the Caroline division within Capitol Music Group. This position will be the primary account lead on various Caroline commercial accounts across streaming (including Spotify). This role will build commercial marketing plans, seek and execute various commercial opportunities and creative release strategies while nurturing important relationships with our account, artist and label partners. This role will work in tandem with various Caroline/Capitol/UMG departments under the direction of the Head of Commercial Marketing, Caroline. The successful candidate will have exceptional relationship management skills, be proactive, results orientated, a strategic thinker with an analytical mind and serve as an advocate for Caroline's artists and label partners.
How you'll CREATE:
- Partner Account Lead: act as the primary point of contact for Caroline repertoire across a number of commercial accounts (including Spotify) while ensuring ongoing knowledge base of all best practices, personnel and opportunities across key commercial accounts
- Streaming and Commercial Marketing Strategy: Work with partners to create dynamic and engaging release plans and campaigns that drive successful commercial results
- Data Analysis: Provide strategic analysis on consumption, listener behavior and account performance
- Label Relations: Work directly with Caroline's labels to identify opportunities for their release schedule, manage account and label call agendas and ensure goals are being met via key performance indicators, reporting and Caroline team communications
- Label Meetings: Be available for all label meetings to communicate release performance, provide strategic recommendations, build plans and strategize
- Digital Marketing Strategy: Work with the Caroline digital and marketing departments to ensure that our partners are building creative, innovative campaigns that engage fans utilizing pre-existing platforms and new technologies.
- Artist Relations: liaise directly with managers and artists during specific events to ensure smooth execution
- Product Forecast/P&L/Budgeting: Project sales potential and monitor/advise on best product cost structures resulting in reasonable marketplace valuation at retail while providing maximum profitability margins with built-in per-unit marketing funds.
- Product Production: Liaise with production teams on projecting sales, pricing and forecasts
- Commercial Promotions: Through a series of reporting, keep a watchful eye on stock levels, title performance and suggest opportunities to further exploit or eventize revenue-generating moments for our artist's repertoire across our commercial partners.
- Relationship Management: Maintain strong relationships and communication with account and label partners. This is an essential part of the role and relationship management skills is key.
- Culture Driven Focus: Know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations.
- Caroline "branding"/visibility: Act as a "face" to Caroline, maintaining a presence at concerts and events, often multiple times a week.
Bring your VIBE:
- 5+ years' experience in music industry sales and marketing with experience in the music streaming space. Experience with physical retail a bonus
- Project Management Experience
- Existing relationships with labels and/or existing contacts at commercial/marketing platforms
- Previous Project Management, Account Management, Digital Marketing or Publicity Experience within the music industry
- Must have exceptional relationship management skills with music industry relationships and vision to collaborate with all teams across the business
- Analytically minded with the ability to read data and trends. Must be goal orientated and extremely organized
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high volume music environment
- Experience strategizing and executing sales and marketing campaigns, as well as pitching proposals for prospective clients (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you've worked on)
- Must be tech-savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, results-oriented with strong attention to detail, and resourceful.
- Must be incredibly organized, able to prioritize and multi-task under pressure
- Must be proactive, have a 'can do' attitude and be willing to attend multiple live shows throughout the week
- Must be passionate about music!
- College degree preferred
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, "Gift Week", Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.