Chief Marketing Officer (Culver City, CA)
We are seeking our first ever Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) coming on the heels of our first venture capital raise to craft a robust marketing strategy and scale Awe into a multi-category leader of the emerging Spiritual Wellness consumer space. As CMO, you’ll be a key member of the Executive team with specific responsibility for everything from customer insight and messaging/creative to media and the day-to-day management of all our marketing channels. You will lead a team that manages all earned (PR, social, celebrity, influencer), owned (email, SMS), and Paid media channels, and all internal and external creative partners.
The CMO will be responsible for driving revenue by increasing product demand and traffic. The ideal candidate is a brand marketing expert who has successfully scaled an 8-figure marketing program for fast-paced, entrepreneurial organizations. This role will report directly to our co-founder/CEO.
- Bring together two currently separate business functions: Creative (product design and asset creation) and Marketing (growth, retention, and organic/social), and drive strategies in each function to serve the needs of all business units with the right balance of customization and cohesion;
- Create strong alignment amongst these functions to create the best end-to-end customer journey from initial brand discovery to purchase and through post-purchase (retention and loyalty);
- Lead the creation of the overall Marketing strategy, in partnership with your direct reports, ensuring that we are driving brand and business growth through effective messaging and efficient media strategies to achieve 3x growth in 2023;
- Translate high-level business goals into actionable strategies, allocating budget and resources against a fast-growing business with distribution in retail, wholesale, and eCommerce;
- Lead the in-house creative team to create consistent and relevant brand and product messaging across all consumer touchpoints;
- Build a robust Partnerships function of our business and form meaningful relationships on behalf of the Brand to broaden reach and impact by leveraging marketing partnerships, including celebrities, key influencers, and peer brands;
- Own the campaign calendar across marketing and product launches, ensuring GTM strategies match market trends and business priorities;
- Lead the identification of target customer segments and markets, leveraging market insights, industry trends, and competitor strategies to formulate decisions;
- Study and share POVs on key competitors and best in class performance lifestyle brands to maximize our relevance, differentiation and sustainability.
- Prior executive-level experience and 15+ years of overall experience; prior experience in a high-growth, digitally-native ecommerce business strongly preferred. Experience branding luxury consumer products strongly preferred;
- Is a known innovative brand builder and has led and inspired teams and customers through transformation;
- Deep expertise and prior leadership experience in all areas of marketing including creative, branding, growth marketing, retention marketing, social media, marketing analytics, media relations, and partnerships;
- Experience directly managing and deploying a $20M+ marketing budget across online and offline marketing channels, including traditional channels (e.g. TV, OOH, direct mail), and non-traditional (e.g. Instagram, TikTok, programmatic), with KPIs ranging from awareness to CPA/ROAS;
- Track record of innovating in these areas and strong theses about the future evolution of paid acquisition channels and privacy regulations;
- Track record of implementing the appropriate systems, organizational structures, and process to achieve the organization’s KPIs, an expert collaborator who can solve for this across their own teams and others;
- A storyteller with passion for data and how it can be used to inform marketing assets and tactics;
- Exceptional leadership skills; someone who has studied and implemented what it means to be an awe-inspiring, strategic, and supportive leader;
- Proven track record as a talent builder, unlocking creativity, risk taking and overall high performance of senior executive teams;
- Bias for action; can make quick decisions using the necessary inputs;
- Interest in emerging new-age spiritual wellness and eagerness to define this space is an enormous plus.
- Attractive base salary, equity, and performance-based bonus;
- Generous vacation and full healthcare benefits;
- Opportunity to create products that bring meaning and strength to women and minorities and supports those in need through our charity give back program;
- Trajectory and history of success at a brand that is venture-backed, profitable and operates in a fast-growing, highly-attractive market segment;
- Collaboration opportunity with enthusiastic founder team;
- Caring environment that values the societal impacts of its operations as much as financial gain.