Product Design Intern
Leaf Group is looking for an intern for our Product Design Team to work on user experience and interface projects, design system creation and management, and product audits from our Santa Monica, CA office.
Leaf Group is a house of digital brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories, including Fitness & Wellness, Art & Design and Publishing. Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate, creative audience.
Our Product Design Team creates amazing experiences that celebrate the best of home design, fitness & wellness, and technology. We collaborate closely with our partners in product management and engineering using a carefully curated process to ensure best-in-class deliverables.
You’ll Report To: Product Design Lead
A typical day as a Design Intern might include:
- Create intuitive and elegant designs for our consumer-facing media products and the internal tools that power them.
- Work closely with product managers to understand the needs, goals, and opportunities of each project.
- Actively seek out information, details, and limitations from internal partners.
- Reduce complex problems into wireframes, visual mockups, prototypes that elegantly solve the business challenges at hand.
- Present your work and articulate your design decisions to internal partners for feedback and iteration.
- Prepare your design files, prototypes, and specs for handoff.
- Provide design feedback on developer builds of features before they launch.
- Grow with the other members of the product design team by sharing and receiving feedback.
- You’ll be successful if you’re a collaborative designer who can identify and address the project goals at hand.
You’ll be successful if you’re a collaborative designer who can identify and address the project goals at hand.
What You Have:
- Hands on product and/or interaction design experience in the digital space (ideally on consumer media/internal applications).
- A strong portfolio that showcases your design process and thinking.
- A solid understanding of user experience and interaction design principles in responsive web.
- Plenty of experience with Sketch and InVision (experience with Principle or other prototyping tools is a major plus).
- Excellent verbal, visual, and written communication skills.
- Strong time management skills.
You will work on:
- Hunker.com - Inspire our readers to discover design and DIY resources to beautify and improve their space.
- Livestrong.com - Motivate readers to unlock their potential by surfacing content that will help them achieve their personal wellness goals.
- Our Proprietary Systems - Our publishing and site management tools enable our teams to collaboratively create, publish and curate content across our sites.
What We Have:
- Paid Internship
- Well+Good is the 2019 People's Voice winner of the Webby Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- eHow is the 2019 People's Voice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- Leaf Group is among Built In LA's 2019 Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among Comparably's 2018 Best Companies in Los Angeles and 2017 Best Company for Diversity
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 Webby Winner for Best Design
- Cool office environment and culture (i.e., Free Lunch Fridays, and all of the other fun activities we gather for)
- Discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
- Free Parking
- Most importantly, hands-on experience within a fast-moving and fun environment
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.