Mechanical Engineering Intern, Summer 2020 at Apeel Sciences
About This Role
The Mechanical Engineering Intern will work with the Design Engineering team on the design, prototype assembly and testing of a new infrared drying system. Overall system design will be completed using Solidworks, taking advantage, as much as possible, of readily available short-lead time components for quick assembly. System testing will be completed to confirm appropriate drying of Apeel’s barrier coating product, on different types of produce.
What You’ll Do
- Research infrared (IR) ovens and light sources, and associated optimal wavelengths for drying water
- Use Solidworks to design components needed to assemble and test a prototype IR drying system
- Oversee the ordering and assembly of the prototype
- Construct and perform experiments to test the performance of the IR dryer
- Iterate and improve the design as necessary based on test performance and other feedback
- Communicate project status through regular design reviews and project updates
What You Bring
- High attention to detail and natural organizational ability
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong work ethic
- Experience with Solidworks part, drawing and assembly files
- Enthusiasms to work within a high growth startup company and the desire to learn from more experienced mechanical / design engineers
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.