Inspire’s Technology team is seeking a Staff Software Engineer to join our consumer application team, responsible for building backend services, API design and mobile and web experiences that focus on delivering customer value. Reporting to the Director of Product, you will be a key decision-maker in the technical approach, architecture and implement resilient, highly available systems. You will be an advocate, and a champion, for best practices across the organization and within the existing team, as well as partner closely with Product and Design to deliver features in a world-class consumer-facing application.
THE STAFF ENGINEER HAS FIVE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ship high quality, scalable and robust solutions with a sense of urgency.
- Have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- Work as part of a small team, with a large amount of ownership and autonomy managing multiple parts of our consumer application.
- Leverage internal and 3rd-party APIs to build core experiences around payment gateways, consumer and industry data.
- Be part of the Product team to collaborate early and often to deliver the right value / effort tradeoff.
SOME YEAR 1 DELIVERABLES
- Deliver our initial consumer web and mobile experience applications.
- Continue to improve and scale the initial applications for national growth
- Build integrations for strategic utility providers
- Design and implement billing and payment capabilities
- Mentor existing team of software engineers and exhibit/drive best practices for software engineering.
- Takes Ownership: Feels deep ownership over tasks and systems, to ensure we build sustainable products
- Endlessly Curious: Always learning about new technologies, industry trends, etc. and applying them when applicable to the technology stack and process.
- Shows Strong Leadership: Drives the technology platform forward, and can mentor and level-up others on the team to build world class APIs
- Works Collaboratively: Works well cross-functionally with Product, Design, Marketing, Data Science, BD, and others to ensure alignment
- Help build a team and cultivate innovation by driving cross-collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams.
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, and coding standards.
- Must Have
- 8+ years of professional experience building building web apps, APIs, evented/queued systems, and other business related systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar, or equivalent education that provides a strong foundation in computer science (data structures, algorithms, compilers, processors, etc.)
- Proven ability to lead cross functional teams both directly and indirectly
- Strong understanding of HTTP, REST standards, backward compatibility, and other best practices for building consumer APIs
- Passionate about technology and interested in solving tough problems
- Desire to provide technical mentorship to the core team
- Nice to Have
- Experience implementing sophisticated systems using 3rd party vendor integrations & decoupled backend services
- Experience with Ruby
- Experience with web scraping technology, such as puppeteer
- Experience with databases and ORMs specifically Postgres, Snowflake
- Experience with mobile application development or supporting mobile application development through robust and scalable API design.