We are building the future of freight
Mothership's groundbreaking technology is unlocking the world's potential by making freight delivery more efficient. Founded in 2017, we're backed by some of venture capital's best investors and have already become the logistics backbone for many of today's most innovative companies.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Platform team, you'll get to build highly scalable, distributed services to deliver the best freight shipping experience in the universe.
The ideal individual for this position is someone who relishes the opportunity to push product from the ground up and is looking for ownership to spread their wings and test the limits. You’re focused on action and lead by example in a hands on and collaborative way.
What you'll get to do
- Investigate and evaluate new tools that support our fast paced development
- Architect systems and libraries that bridge infrastructure and product development
- Build for scalability and fault tolerance as we expand our network across multiple regions and clouds
- Automate infrastructure provisioning through Kubernetes operators, making it safe and repeatable
- Enable new paradigms for product engineering teams (event-sourcing, streams)
- Promote best practices and provide mentorship for the engineering team
What success looks like in this role
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or equivalent
- 6+ years of experience at either a well-established organization or at a high-growth company
- Experience working a tech startup
- Significant experience building scalable REST APIs and microservices to support mobile and web clients
- Experience diagnosing and troubleshooting distributed microservice interactions
- Strong experience with a modern programming language
- Experience writing comprehensive unit and integration tests
- Experience working with modern identity and authorization services and protocols
- Experience with AWS and/or Kubernetes (EKS)
- Experience managing common distributed datastores for backend services, like PostgreSQL, Redis, Kafka, Elasticsearch
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative environment
- Not afraid to jump in and fix or extend open-source projects if required
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Great at time management, ability to self-direct research
Technologies we're working with
- Kubernetes + in-house operators
- CNCF Projects (Harbor, Drone, Spinnaker)
Salary, Benefits & Perks
- Full health, dental and vision insurance coverage
- 401k (4% company match)
- Unlimited paid time off
- Work at our bright, window filled, open floor plan office in Culver City, CA
- Equipped with the latest technology
Culture at Mothership
We’re an ambitious, endlessly curious, and open-minded group. Our team is passionate about our mission and eager to produce work at the highest level. The office is upbeat and supportive, because we care about each other and believe positive momentum equals better outcomes.
If this sounds like a place you’d be a great addition to, let’s chat.
Read Full Job Description