Sr Software Engineer Front End
Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, Inc based in Santa Monica, California.
We currently operate two digital subscription services, Hallmark Movies Now and
Hallmark eCards, as well as ongoing initiatives in personalized, print-on-demand
greeting cards. We are a diverse team of innovators, creators and influencers
leveraging Hallmark’s deep experience in creating meaningful connections and
progressing it into the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
Are you great at what you do and passionate about your work? Are you honest and
Are you a self- motivated, go-getter that likes to have fun?
If so, you are in the right place.
Do you dream about great user experiences and intuitive user interfaces – and know what it takes to deliver those in an SOA based microservices environment? Do you love to work on small nimble teams that focus on writing amazing code to deliver great products with big impact that are loved by customers?
We are looking for a seasoned polyglot – ideally a full stack or UI focused developer with a passion for building intuitive user interfaces and expertise in understanding great user experiences for a variety of technology products. We want someone that is driven, takes ownership and is solution oriented to join a stellar new team working on our next generation products.
The job involves the following responsibilities:
- Implement scalable clients and scalable aggregation services
- Implement microservices using both asynchronous messaging and through RESTful endpoints
- Work on integrations with other internal and external teams
- Participate in creating and clarifying User Stories, and in planning Sprints
- Dive into hard problems and successfully deliver great results on schedule
- Design and implement multi-threaded and multi-processor solutions
Who we think would be a fit:
We are looking for someone who not only loves building great software but is also passionate about getting stuff done. You might have worked at large top name companies but you prefer small nimble companies with tight knit cross-functional teams that focus on quickly getting stellar products to market. You have the skills and experience but you still love to learn - and you want to work with super talented folks to build great products.
- are a polyglot who enjoys learning new languages, and choosing the right language to solve the problems at hand
- have a track record of projects completed on time – you excel at getting things done
- design solutions to integrated systems you often think in Service-oriented architecture (SOA), microservices, and REST APIs
- enjoy learning bleeding edge technologies, but cutting edge or other more stable technologies for built to last solutions
- think that having an intelligent data modeling conversations with a data architect sounds like fun
- enjoy refactoring code to reduce code complexity but understand delivery matters more than perfect code
- think in multi-threaded or multi-processor solutions
- know design patterns like the back of your hand and you chose which ones to use based on the task at hand, not just because one is popular at the moment
- are comfortable with performance tuning applications with tools like JMeter or Apache Bench
- prioritize mitigating security vulnerabilities as a part of your normal development process
- are not afraid of Test Driven Development (TDD), in fact, kind of like it
- enjoy heads down coding, but also have good communication skills, love collaborating and are fun to work with
- 5 + years professional programming experience.
- Two (2) or more years of experience each, with two or more object oriented or functional languages:
- BS in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Service-oriented architecture (SOA) environments, microservices, and REST APIs
- Familiarity with both SQL and NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB, Redis, or Neo4j
- Experience in scaling applications
- Strong computer science theory fundamentals like algorithms and data structure design
- Experience mitigating security vulnerabilities
- Familiarity with performance tuning applications with tools like JMeter or Apache Bench
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Comfortable working on small, cross-functional, fast paced teams
- Excellent communication skills
To be considered an applicant for this position you must show how you meet the basic qualifications of the job in a resume or document you upload, or by completing the work experience and education application fields. Accepted file types are Microsoft Word (DOC or DOCX), PDF, HTML, or TXT. Individual file size attachment limit is 10 MB.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Labs will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Employment by Hallmark Labs is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Excellent medical benefits
401(k) match up to 5%
Life insurance policy for every employee, at no cost
Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
Carpool and parking pass cash-out program
Generous maternity/paternity leave
Employee assistance programs
Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and delicious snacks and beverages
Monthly catered lunches
Soft serve machine 24/7
Great eateries close by, oh, and we’re near the beach!
Massage chairs and bicycles
Onsite free parking
Flexible work hours/work from home
Hallmark Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.