Sr. Mechanical Engineer - Contract
We are seeking a well-established Sr. Mechanical Engineer to play a critical, leading role in our fast-growing, non-traditional, technology company. In this role, the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will drive the concept, mechanical design and development of next generation LED lighting products.
The Sr Mechanical Engineer will have strong and effective communications skills to coordinate with a cross-functional team to meet very aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals. These communication skills will be critical when partnering with management of outside resources for design, prototyping, and testing of new fixtures and concepts.
In depth expertise in manufacturing technologies is a prerequisite including experience in injection molded and extruded plastics, die cast and extruded aluminum, stamping, forming, and spinning of sheet metal. It is also critical to have knowledge in secondary and finishing operations including by not limited to post mold/cast machining, anodization, painting, hard coating, and vacuum metallization.
Since we are developing high technology lighting fixtures, broad experience with products requiring electronics packaging, thermal management, and aesthetic requirements are very important.
The Sr Mechanical Engineer will also create 2D drawings, BOMs, and other documentation necessary for product implementation; vendor selection; tooling trials (on-site and otherwise) to determine form, fit and functionality; documentation of new inventions and interaction with outside counsel to protect them.
- Mechanical architecture development and Project Engineering – the ability to step in and help coordinate efforts with other engineers working on the same platform.
- 3D models and assemblies that meet the performance, cost and size constraints defined in the Products Requirement Document
- Design simulations (stress, thermal) to provide early proof of concept for designs
- Prototypes of parts and assemblies to show form, fit and function
- Design risk assessments, mitigation plans, development lessons learned
- 2D prints and BOM, with assembly process documentation
- Conduct design and print reviews with cross-functional teams
- Prototype tests and validation results, document multi-dimensional activities
- Keep up-to-date on state-of-the art technologies
- Competitive bench marking for each project
- Technical support for production issues debug and resolution
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design. MS preferred.
- 7 years’ experience in mechanical systems design
- 5 years’ experience with consumer hard products (lighting desired but not necessary.)
- Demonstrated success in designing products in both high volume (1M+/year) and low volume (10k/year) environments
- Proficiency with mechanical CAD (Pro/E, SolidWorks, etc)
- Proficiency with thermal and mechanical simulation tools preferred
- Ability to develop and implement software tools to automate the design process (CAD libraries, standard functions, etc) preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 30%)
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.