Sr Linux Systems Administrator
OpenX, a leading provider of digital and mobile advertising technology, seeks a Senior Linux System Administrator responsible for the performance and uptime of various OpenX systems and services. OpenX serves hundreds of thousands of requests per second from thousands of servers across a worldwide data center footprint. We are expanding our infrastructure footprint into public clouds, such as AWS and GCP. Experience at large scale is desirable, though we are willing to train people with the right skills and attitude. You will be responsible for maintaining and improving service uptime and scaling our systems for continued rapid growth.
Additionally, this role will handle planned or unplanned maintenance events and execute a consistent software release process. The ideal candidate has experience with management of physical servers on-premises at scale and on-demand, burstable virtualized environments hosted on public cloud providers. Excellent communication skills are required in order to successfully interact with the rest of OpenX Engineering. Developing and supporting our infrastructure presents many interesting technical challenges. We especially desire candidates with a passion for open-source software and an interest in the latest system architecture trends.
- Design, implement, and support highly-performant, highly-available infrastructure of on-premises hardware and on public clouds such as AWS, GCP, or equivalent providers
- Improve the efficiency and flexibility of our data centers
- Build and maintain models for growth and capacity
- Tune large-scale clusters for optimal performance and efficiency
- Develop technologies for low latency access to very large data resources
- Participate in a 24-hour by 7-day on-call rotation
- Own the day-to-day health, uptime, monitoring, and reliability of all server infrastructure
- Work closely with engineering, project management, operational, and engineering peers to develop innovative technical tools and solutions
- Identify tactical issues and react to emerging areas of concern
- Adhere to the DevOps philosophy by evangelizing communication, collaboration, and integration with software development teams
- Think long-term and be unsatisfied with band-aids
- Identify unnecessary complexity and remove it
- At least five years experience in a SysAdmin, SRE, DevOps, or equivalent role
- At least two years experience maintaining a production infrastructure hosted on AWS, GCP, or equivalent public cloud providers
- Strong knowledge of the UNIX command-line and architecture
- Strong knowledge of core protocols and tech such as: TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, load balancers, distributed file systems, key-value and relational databases
- Capability to automate tasks in at least one language (other than Bash), ideally Python, Ruby, or Perl
- Extensive experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Salt, or Ansible is a big plus
- Demonstrated experience in network and large scale UNIX system troubleshooting and maintenance practices
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced and hectic work environment
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, systems, and storage with very bright, experienced engineers
- Must be willing to work some shifts outside of normal business hours, i.e afternoon/evening, weekends, and holidays
- Humility and Integrity
Nice to Have
- Experience installing and managing one or more of the following: Hadoop clusters and related services (e.g. YARN, Impala); RDBMS platforms (e.g. MariaDB / MySQL, PostgreSQL, Vertica); distributed data systems (e.g. Riak, Druid, Kafka)
- Understanding of programming languages such as Erlang, Java, Go, C/C++, or others are a plus
- Understanding how to manage public cloud services and tasks, such as: load balancing, automation through provider API, VPC, serverless computing (Lambda, GCF), backup/restore procedures, and managing policies and resources
- Self-starter with the ability to independently identify and act on areas of improvement
- Knowledge and interest in the latest system architecture trends
- Ability to rapidly learn and understand new systems
Our five company values form a solid bedrock serving to define us as a group and guide the company. Our values remind us that how we do things often matters as much as what we do.
We are one
One team. No exceptions. We are a group of strong and diverse individuals unified by a clear common purpose.
Our customers define us
We know our business flourishes or dies because of our customers.
OpenX is mine
We are all owners of OpenX. We stake our personal and professional reputations on the excellence of our work.
We are an open book
We are eager to teach and share what we know with others.
We evolve fast
We take risks and confront failure openly. We recognize and repeat success aggressively. We actively seek out and provide constructive criticism. Defensiveness is for weaklings!