Sr. Electrical Engineer - Digital Power and LED Drivers at Ecosense Lighting
Ecosense is a rapidly growing technology company based in Los Angeles. Our purpose is to invent, inspire and transform how we experience light. Our strategy is audacious, and our expectations are high. We are pioneering in the areas of color science, photometry and mixed reality. Using the sun and the moon as inspiration, we are using our inventions to enhance our industry’s understanding of light and materially transform expectations for artificial light.
We have been fortunate to light some of the most coveted spaces on earth and to be recognized by the likes of Red Dot for innovation and design, as well as Inc 500 and Deloitte for consistently making their fastest growing companies lists.
Ecosense hires curious, collaborative, autonomous and smart people who also happen to be very nice. We have a passion for tackling the unknown, solving hard problems, and answering questions that haven’t been explored.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
The Sr. Electrical Engineer (Digital Power and LED Drivers) will come with substantial experience in the design and development of highly-efficient power supply and LED driver designs. You will be a part of the process from concept investigation and design analysis to successful production execution. Using analytical and problem-solving skills the Electrical Engineer will help guide decision making in the organization.
The candidate must have domain expertise with designing, modeling, trouble shooting, and verifying stability of digital power control loops. This individual must have deep expertise of offline conversion topologies including Flyback, Buck, PFC, resonant converters, LLC and analog/digital controls loops.
Candidate must be intimately familiar with power supply safety and environmental certifications, offline controllers, components, magnetic design, power supply layout and state-of the art techniques for efficiency optimizations including no load/light load efficiency techniques.
The Electrical Engineer will help in architecture investigation with the power architect and help determine the best design option for power metric performance optimization including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost and scalability.
- Analyze, model, design for excellence (DFx), drive prototype development, qualification, safety/REL certifications
- Design, simulate, calculate, and develop analytical models for prediction of design concepts throughout the development lifecycle.
- Develop proof of concept, risk assessments, mitigation plans, and incorporate lessons learned.
- Create circuit schematics and BOM; Work with layout team on designs that are industry leading in size and power density.
- Conduct design and layout reviews with cross-functional teams
- Prototype, test, and validate designs. Document multi-dimensional activities.
- Perform competitive benchmarking for each project.
- Transition designs into mass production. Support sustaining engineering issues.
- Prepare, present, and lead peer to peer and cross-functional design review meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- ‘C’ or knowledge in embedded programming
- 5+ years of professional experience taking the design from concept to volume production and sustaining.
- 5+ years’ experience in power electronics or LED (AC/DC) driver designs.
- Experience with 120V-277V to low voltage, 50W to higher power levels convertor designs.
- Flyback, boost and buck convertor design expertise.
- Experience in designing to safety and regulatory standards including UL/CSA/CE/FCC etc.
- Proficiency with schematic editor and PCB layout, simulation tool ex: Spice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 20%)
- Possess the ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and execute to get the job done
- Experience with Altium.
- Magnetics simulation.
- Arena PLM or similar product lifecycle management systems.
- PSpice, Mathcad, or similar simulation software/tools.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.